Where do you store your oars?

I just changed out my rower’s seat on my 16’ LP Clackacraft and the new seat is quite a bit taller. Before the change, I carried my 9’ Carlisle oars resting on all 3 seats - handles on the bow seat and blades on the stern seat. I cannot do that with the taller seat, how do you guys carry your oars?

Thank,
Bill Keeler

I’m assuming you got the higher back rowers seat that Clackacraft offers, instead of their lower back rowers seat?

I’ve always had a low back rowers seat in my boats, and have always been able to store my oars across the tops of the seats, like you did previously. However, I have a Clackacraft Eddy 360 now which has a pedestal, rather than a bench, and a low back rowers seat, and the back of the rowers seat sticks up slightly higher in relation to the front and rear seats. As a result, the oars don’t fit flush on the front and rear seats, and the oars push the seat backs up a bit when they are folded down on top of the oars. It still works to carry the oars that way, but just barely.

When I bought my Eddy this past spring the salesman at Clackacraft said some owners just store their oars in the bottom of the boat, but I wouldn’t want to store mine there when towing the boat. You could tie them together with a bungee, but I think they’d bang around too much unless there’s a way to secure them in some way to the inside of the boat.

In the past, I’ve had breakdown oars that fit in the back of my truck bed, and I do have a pair of 9’ Cataract oars with removable oar blades that would fit in the back of my 6 1/2’ truck bed if I removed the blades, and that’s probably how I’d carry my oars if I wasn’t able to
carry them in my boat as I do now. (My 1 piece Sawyer oars wouldn’t fit there though.)

I also have a roof rack on my truck (on top of a cap/topper). I could, and have also carried oars there in the past, lashed on with cam straps, but that would be my last resort, simply due to the extra time involved to carry them that way.

John

John,

I never thought about the height of the seat and the difficulties it would create. I opted to disassemble my oars, lay the shafts in the floor and the blades in the rower bench. Not ideal, but it’ll work.

I sure hope that new seat is comfortable!

Thanks for the reply. The Eddy is an awesome boat!

Thanks,
Bill Keeler

Attachments

I just changed out my rower’s seat on my 16’ LP Clackacraft and the new seat is quite a bit taller. Before the change, I carried my 9’ Carlisle oars resting on all 3 seats - handles on the bow seat and blades on the stern seat. I cannot do that with the taller seat, how do you guys carry your oars?

Thank,
Bill Keeler
Bill -

Here is a video on Stealthcraft drift boats that includes, among other things, a set up that they have for securing their oars on the floor of their drift boat. Something like that might work for you if your boat has a pedestal rowers seat, but it might not work if you have a bench seat - you didn’t say which you have.

John

Thanks for the video, John. A great oar tiedown option for a pedestal rower’s seat, unfortunately, I have a bench seat.

An old river rafting buddy of mine suggested spacers on the fore and aft seats to make them level with the rower’s seat. He suggested a couple of blocks of the heavy packing material to rest on the back of the folded seats, thereby, creating a level plane for all 3 seats. Throw the tiedown strap over the oars and suck it all down. When you’re ready to row, throw the foam blocks in the truck with the tiedown strap.

With enough time and beer, we can solve any crisis! This is me in retirement.....worrying about trivial shit like this!

Thanks guys for all of the responses.
Bill Keeler

Now that’s a simple solution! Someone mentioned that the geometry of the high back seat would not allow me to contact all three seats with the oars.....I hated geometry! I was looking for symmetry, where a simple angle solves the oar storage equation.

Well done! I knew you guys would figure it out for me.
Thanks,
Bill Keeler

Thanks Bill and Bjorn! I just replaced my torn seat this evening and admired the new one for about a minute before I discovered this problem. I couldn't figure it out before the sun went down. You just got me on the river a little earlier tomorrow morning!