Where doyou buy your Hungarian Partridge?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Wally Bear, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Wally Bear

Wally Bear New Member

I bought some Hungarian Partridge feathers in a bag. I was able to tie 2 soft hackle flies out of the bag. The rest of the feathers just seem too small. I am having a hard time tying from what is left. I went back down and I looked at what was on the rack and the last two bags looked to be about the same. Sort of like the last kids picked for a team.

What I would like to know is where do you buy your Hungarian Partridge feathers from? Is there a trick to finding a good quantity of usable feathers? Thanks.

2. darwin101

darwin101 Member

Not sure what your tying, but I use the small feathers for spiders and wet flies. You can get full gray partridge from most shops that carry the hareline products. try eBay for the whole skin, should be around $15

3. JMitchell

JMitchell Active Member

Blue ribbon flies, buy a full skin. I tie alot of soft hackles in the 12-16 size range and it has been great for these sizes. A little more money (25$ I think) but worth it.

4. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

partridge runs for 28.99 usually now. buying the full skin is the only way to get alot of usable feathers. the little baggies are sold because some people don't want to spend 28 bucks on such a small bird. the extra small feathers work good for small flies ;)
    i buy mine from the gig harbor fly shop

5. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Wally,
    Here's a list of birds you should eventually have in stock, always full skins as others have said it's the only way to get the full range of feather sizes you'll need.
    Partridge, Grouse, Pheasant, Snipe,and Starling. Also watch for India Hen Backs, wonderfully soft feathers for soft hackles and other flies.
    Others may have good recommendations as well.

6. Wally Bear

Wally Bear New Member

Thanks, that is helpful.

7. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

I usually skin one out during hunting season.