Thanks JohnnyD. I have seen them there and was hoping to find one that would not be coming from a shop in Europe at 60 Euros or about 90 bucks. If all leads bring me to dead ends and I can't put my $$ into a local shop or US distributor I'll likely go that route...or step up and build myself one and stop being lazy. Thanks!
There was an article in Fly Tying Magazine (I think) a few years ago that had directions on how to make one. Not too hard to make, I made one last year but have yet to try it out. I'll see if I can find the article that was pdf'd and posted. I found it via one of the BC boards.
Thanks Andre, I appreciate the possible link to that article on how to build one myself. I've found a lot of places that carry the Cyclone Dubbing Brush Maker, it looks similar to the Turbo Spinner but having seen and held one of the Turbo Spinners I found it very solid yet small enough to take on trips.
Thanks Andre and Norm. I'm thinking that my next tinkering project has been identified. With luck I'll stumble upon one of the very portable Turbo-Spinners. (or I'll snatch Rob's once he buys it) As for the home bench, no reason not to make a nice long one to build some brushes that will last through a bunch of flies.
Well, with the target item seemingly unavailable and several WFF members recommending I get off my ass and put a bit of tinker time in, that is what I did. After all, if the membership of WFF suggest it, it must merit consideration.
Mumbles' Dubbing Brush Block:
Caster - $1.57
Eyebolt - $0.57 for two (maybe Rob Ast will apologize for bid blocking me on the turbo-spinner)
Bifold Door brackets - Free, saved from the doors I removed on Spring Break
Screws - Already in my tinker toy shop
Spring - Also saved from the bifold door project
Cotter Pin - I've got 1000 of these in assorted sizes for tying flies
Cedar 4x4x13 - I had four of these that were cut off scrap from a gardening project a couple of years ago
M6 inserts - I have a bunch of these from countless snowboard projects
Small mushroom cap hex head bolts, nuts and washers - spare splitboard parts from the old Burton interface system
Total actual cost: $1.86 if my math is right.
Hacksawed out the caster's axle. Bent open the eye bolt. Used the vise to press in one M6 insert to each side of the caster wheel. Put a length of clear heat shrink tubing over the threaded portion of the eye bolt (it is not M6 threaded so the shrink tubing took up the slack and conformed on the inside to the threaded eyebolt and to the inserts. Bolted the caster bracket to the bifold door brackets. Located the central long axis of the cedar 4x4. Routed it in 1/16" increments until I got the depth to my desired level. Held the wheel assembly to the end of the block to align where the bracket screw pilot holes should be drilled. Marked four holes. Drilled four holes. Disassembled caster from the bifold brackets. Mounted the brackets to the block. Remounted the caster (not enough drill/screwdriver clearance to properly drive the screws). Tighten, tighten, snug, snug. Drilled the cotter pin hole. Pounded cotter pin into hole, straighten the eye along the long axis (astetic, not functional). Mounted the wire end holding screw with overlying spring, tighten until the spring is tight to hold the wire.
Photograph, photograph, photograph. Fastened the wire, waxed the wire, wire to the hook, dubbing on the wire, wire over the dubbing and around the same side of the cotter pin. Wire around the screw into the spring. Slow spin a few times. Remove both wire ends from the spring and hold in my hand as I spin the dubbing brush. Spin until tight and the wire breaks. Done. More photos. Show you that WFF members are motivating, resourceful in their suggestions and right.
Thanks to all for their suggestions, video links, web page how to's and all that jazz.
Okay, so I can build a simple block system, spin a dubbing brush but I'm not sure I can bang out any flies. We'll see what happens. I'm already working on a multi width tray block idea in my little pea tinker brain.