Where to get materials for the lowest price?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by bwtucker83, Mar 2, 2006.

1. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Griffins rotary models are good, I would like to upgrade to the cam (single arm) no knobs style of clamping head, just faster to start up =), but will never need another vise, and have been pleased with the vise. I have purchased a cast iron felt bottomed base from Cabelas, which was a necessity when you don't know where your gonna tie all the time =)

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Try a few craft shops. And also support your local shop. I have found a few things at craft shops that you can't find at the local fly shop.

Jim

3. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

If you want a specific shop, tht has a good selection and broad spectrum try Ted's Sporting goods, 1/2 mile south on 99 from intersection of HWY 525 Lynwoodish....... anyhow, you can afford to pick up the essentials a bit at a time, and trust me, I would hate to tally what my tying stuff is worth all together, and I do agree that the one thing I have spent $$ on is good hackle, =)

4. journeyman

journeyman New Member

I think the lowest price may not be the best way to qualify some of the websites/suppliers out there. Yes, price/cheap is good but, my idea of a good supplier is a web supplier that has a great selection and a website that makes sense to navigate. I'd like to find a fly tying supplier that offers a world class selection of tying materials along with reasonable pricing. A company that you can trust over and over, sorry about the local fly shop I never have the time to go there.

5. Mike9z1

Mike9z1 New Member

http://www.hookhack.com is a very good place to buy materials. They have a very large selection of vises. I just bought a very cheap roating vise from there. It was about $55.00 (without discount). It's a great vise!!! You should check is out sometime. They run sales very often.

6. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Hang out in the Cast & Blast forum and goad Roper into giving you a handful of feathers. :p

Actually, a good friend of mine goaded a co-worker into giving him a bunch of pheasant feathers, which ultimately was destined for me. Yeah, Brad gets free flies these days. But I did catch the biggest trout of my life on a fly tied out that gallon baggy! :beer2:

7. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Hit the local craft store for body material and a few feathers and things.

Daryle

8. I love my Dan Vise, I got a base from Cabelas but want to make one from a piece of scrap granite slab. Go check out the sportsman warehouse in Federal Way, good prices. I've also picked up some good material from a taxidermist in exchange for flies. They like to use the flies in their fish mounts.

9. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Become friends with hunters all types whether you like them or not, I have so many feathers and skins now will never use them all. Some have been sitting unused for years.

BG

10. kimosabe

kimosabe Member

If you are not looking for something simple & inexpensive...try a Thompson A vise, it will do the job.

I started with the Thompson and ended up with a Regal.

As for materials, try your local flyshops, you will get expertise that internet sellers can't offer (not that I don't shop over the net)

11. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

Get your stuff at your local shop. What you save in prices online will be made up in shipping, and in leaving your local guy out in the cold.

The only time I order online is when my local shop would have to special order it. Namely in the huge hooks I use for pike. Otherwise, Waters West sells me everything.

Jeff

12. FFK

FFK Active Member

i fugured your back yard. lots of stuff to use, get your bb gun.

13. NWDave

NWDave New Member

Got a Value Village or something similar nearby? I've made killer finds of beaver, mink, fox and other great looking colors of real fur, just hanging around as collars and stoles. You gotta be careful and know the blow test to tell if it's real or fake. This stuff makes great dubbing material. Cleaner than road kill too.

~Dave

14. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

That reminds me, I have to get my air gun fixed. Lots of starling skins to be had.

Daryle

15. beaverton

beaverton New Member

Griffin Odyssey spider, rotary vise under 100$