Where You Part Of The Fly Club At Pass Lake Last Weekend?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Caveman, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Couldn't agree more. I go fishing to have fun. Period. I love to catch fish. Any fish. If me having a good time doing so somehow has a negative impact on someone else's experience then, well, tough shit. You do it your way, ill do it mine.

Bad-Daddio likes this.
  2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I have to agree that celebrating a large fish is the norm out of my boat. If I have friends in a boat near by we will shoot the shit and give each other crap-part of the whole experience to me. but fishing close to someone or intruding on someone else's water I will not do on a lake. I've watched these threads and now know where this is the norm and know that I do not need to catch fish that bad to go to any of these areas. I had a guy who floated over right where I was casting last year and I just said "EXCUSE ME" and he got the hint. no one within half mile of us, so I felt he had no right to spook the fish I was fishing over! And he didn't. I would rather not have someone come over and ask "what you using" but will be kind and tell them, just not my favorite thing. I feel knowledge should be earned from time and experience on the water. but that's just me and it seems now days that's the exception not the rule. Doing most of my fly fishing in the 70's and 80's and part of the 90's and just starting up in it heavy again I am learning and excepting what the "NORM" is for today's fisherman. learning and changing seems to be part of any sport.

3. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

On the blog, reference was made to the "two cast rule." With at least fifty years' experience, I don't believe that I've heard of that. Does it mean that one shouldn't come within two cast lengths of another fly angler on a lake? That seems like a good idea as a loose rule, but when a lake is crowded, it may not be practical. Unlike elevators, lakes don't have posted capacity limits (well, not in the U.S., anyway).

4. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

Yes, that's how it works. It's a general rule of thumb (see Morris/Chan Ch 15 at the end of the book). Works in most situations but you're right about crowded conditions and other like circumstances. I always recommend going at least one step further and paying attention to the direction others may be going. When I know where someone is going to fish next I'll leave it, even if I had the right-of-way. I enjoy seeing others catch fish and I don't need one more that badly.

5. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

I tend to agree with having fun when you fish. I normally don't hoot and holler a lot but when a buddy hooks a hog I may send some encouragement his way. I remember being very green and having some older guys who were dialed in not only tell me what they were using and how they were fishing it, but give me some great patterns and advice. Those guys made me want to be like them. I try hard to be understanding if someone gets too close or comes zooming in to ask what I am using. I think most that come too close don't know what they are doing and a friendly approach often solves the problem. I will share patterns and get as much or more satisfaction from someone catching a fish on my fly than I do myself. Ultimately, flyfishing is my escape and I refuse to let a situation on the water ruin my day. Poachers, jackwagons, jerks,
    and etc. are always going to be there. There's a way to deal with all and I can almost always hike, row or motor to new water and more fish.

6. Bad-Daddio

Bad-Daddio Member

This sums up this thread for me. I have fun while fishing, no matter what. Fish or no fish, rain or shine. At 40 years old, I still LOVE catching fish and giggle like a little school-girl when it happens, and I love watching others do the same. I will laugh, hoot, holler, applaud, whatever, when I see someone catch a fish. Hell, I might even offer 'em a celebratory nip from my flask. I've always just chosen to fish way up in a headwater stream somewhere where there are usually no witnesses to my goofy-ass antics. I've just made the decision to give stillwater fly fishing a real dedicated effort. I enter into it with the full knowledge that if I choose to fish somewhere like Pass Lake, there will be other fisherman present - maybe some will get in my way, maybe some will make a lot of noise. I accept the fact that this probably will happen at some point. I'm not going to let it ruin my day - I'm still going to have a shitload of fun. When I want solitude and quiet, I will head for the hills.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  7. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I like your style Daddio! You sound like just the type of cat I enjoy meeting on a lake.

Bad-Daddio likes this.
  8. Bad-Daddio

Bad-Daddio Member

Nick - Be honest, you're just angling for a nip off that flask I mentioned. But I can respect that ;)

9. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Since when has Cranberry been a "secret"?

10. Jeff Studebaker

Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

Never really had a bad experience with a fishing club...until today.

Pulled up to the launch at Pass Lake after paddling all the way from the opposite end, tired and ready to get out of the boat after a full morning. Too bad every inch of shoreline was crowded with empty boats – while the owners stood around a picnic table talking.

Now the Pass Lake launch is not small, and I'm not in a big boat. It's a kayak – about as slim a boat as there is – yet there was still literally no space for me to pull ashore. Finally, after several minutes of waving at the club, several of whom just stared at me, a helpful guy who seemed not to be part of the club came up and pulled his pram ashore to make space, even though he was in the process of unloading it to leave. It was a deeper part of the shoreline to one side of the launch, so I got my boots filled with water as I stepped out of the boat. Nice.

Although I am used to people behaving like they own the world, I was kind of surprised to see fly fishermen showing such a lack of common courtesy.

11. Caveman

Caveman Member

I was there today and no problem getting out. The flu club even pulled me in and helped me out. Had a whole area to my self fishing. Had one guy come set next to me and then one other a couple hrs later. No complaints. Lake is big enough four everyone..

12. bugboy9

bugboy9 Member

"Although I am used to people behaving like they own the world, I was kind of surprised to see fly fishermen showing such a lack of common courtesy."

I think I pulled in right before you Jeff and my boat was right next to your Kayak. I was thinking the same thing when I pulled up to the boat launch. How can anyone think to block the boat launch with any floating device, all the way across doubled up? Not just for a minute either, but the entire lunch hour? I would think this fly club would be courteous and polite enough to take the initiative to move at least a few pontoons so that someone could get in or out of the launch.

I went over and politely asked the couple of people cooking for their club if they can ask someone to make a little room so I can take my boat out. They said no problem with a surprising unfriendly tone, but it didn't happen. This was the real first time in Washington I felt like these fishermen thought they were better than everyone else.

I just think of all of the nice people I've met over the years fishing (even from this forum) and I quickly get over people like that.

13. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Someone from the forum did warn people that the club would be there. Maybe they knew something we didn't? I imagine someone from the club will chime in here with some other side to the story. Can't wait to hear it.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What you needed was an old bastard to voice his opinion at that boat launch. I have more than once yelled for some room to launch or take out at several lakes.

They would of came over quick if you started moving their boats around. Sometimes you have to be the bad guy to get things done.

Now here is a different story. Most times where I go, I'm the only one there.

15. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

I am a member of this club. I wasn't able to make the outing. I am very disappointed and upset by these posts. Have sent out a E-mail to the club members and going to be asking questions. This is NOT the behavior I've come to expect from this club. I am truly sorry for your experience.