Where's everyone at?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Buck, May 5, 2009.

1. DCR

DCR Member

Heres a few more pics.

2. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Thanks for the pics Don. I wanted to build this as a first rod but thought it might be too difficult as a first rod, what do you think?
    I like the blue.
    Frank.

3. DCR

DCR Member

I think you would be fine with it, reaming the handle could be a problem because of the length of it. If you are near Tacoma I could give you a hand.

4. Bullwhacker

Bullwhacker Member

Finding the spine on a multi piece rod when assembled makes no sence at all. IMO, testing and marking the top two pieces are the critical ones of a four piece rod. The third piece from the tip is questionable and the piece with the cork doesn't make much difference.

I would avoid stressing any ferrules before wrapping and epoxying them. I also make small ferrule wraps towrards the tip and proggresivly increase the size as I move towards the handle to correspond to the increasing load on them.

I also only wrap with single foot guides. You have half the weight in thread and epoxy and only have a 3/8" splint at every guide vs. an 1 inch. It makes for a lighter rod and less affect on the action.

5. DCR

DCR Member

I also spine them one peace at a time, not like in the video. Its o.k. to do it the way in the video as long as you find the top spine first then do the top connected to the bottom. A lot of builders i know do fly rods this way.

The ferrules on modern rod blanks are stronger then you would think. In ten years I have never seen one split and I know builders that don't wrap them on smaller rods.