Which Rod????

OK im in the market for a rod under 200$. Should I get an Eight weight or three weight, I have a six and five. I mostly do trout fishing and panfish, but accasionly target bass and carp.

No reason for the 8 weight unless you are targeting steelhead. A 3 weight is fun in small waters. I like 4 weights and fish them the majority of the time for trout, including lakes. I own 3 different 4 weights (as well as a 2,3,5,6,7,8 and 2 speys.)

Wayne

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
No reason for the 8 weight unless you are targeting steelhead. A 3 weight is fun in small waters. I like 4 weights and fish them the majority of the time for trout, including lakes. I own 3 different 4 weights (as well as a 2,3,5,6,7,8 and 2 speys.)

Wayne
Wayne is right on. Can't get any better advice than that! iagree

As stated a 4wt is hard to beat for trout since you've already got 5's and 6's. Most of my lowland trout fishing is done with a 4wt. The size of fish we normally run into is great sport on a 4 plus it is versatile enough for different lines and sizes of flies.

colton rogers

wishin' i was fishin'
go with a tiny 3wt, a 5 0r 6 is plenty to bring in a .5-1.5 pl bass, carp i don't really nkow about. i live in the wet side and i don't think we have carp. hell a 1pl bass is pretty nice over here:D

if you do plan to fish for salmon or steelhead, go for an 8. and colton, we do have carp. greenlake and sliver lake have huge ones. but these 2 lakes are a lot closer to seattle than gig.