Which vest for chukars ?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Leroy Laviolet, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

I've found those soft sided water bags to be less jumpy and more comfortable on your back-

2. martyg

martyg Active Member

Yeah - if you are married to the idea of a bottle, the Platypus soft bottles are the way to go. Two things piss me off about water bottles:

1. The water sloshes around.

2. You still have to carry the volume when they are empty.

3. bushwacker

bushwacker Member

:thumb:I've given up on vests. It started with fly fishing when, after a long day of casting my neck muscles would cramp up. I bought an special Orvis vest that was supposed to alleviate the problem, but I still had neck cramps and went to a chest pack.

My hunting vests were never of the best quality, but with shells, water bottle and birds in the back, I felt like I was pulling a trailer along behind me. The hunting fanny pack I currently use puts the weight right on my pelvis, and while still somewhat heavy, takes the
    weight off my upper body which has enough to do packing my shotgun for hours on end.

4. martyg

martyg Active Member

We don't make vests. We make technical packs where the weight is on your hips. The shoulder straps just help steer the load.

5. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

I just got my Mother day pack in the mail. SWEEEET!!! I cant wait to hunt chukars with this on. I just loaded it up with my upland gear that i take on the slopes with me(2 boxes, 2 bottles water, extra socks and a colapseable dog bowl) and the difference between my old vest and this pack is amazing. It is so comfortable.
    I ordered this from Lynn on friday and had it in my hands as of 3 hours ago. Very impressed by the quick service and quality of the design.
    Thanks Martyg!

6. andrew

andrew Active Member

Nice...let's go break it in! I can honestly say I carried all that you've listed plus a full first aid kit, food, and a lite weight rain coat and did not feel as if I had anything on my back until I got to the car and dug out my keys!

Only problem...I take this pack whenever I go hunting and my brother-in-law or his father utilize the fact that I have it and make me carry their kill...oh well.

7. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

well quit appeasing the wife and lets go ;) how'd that siding treat you this weekend?

8. andrew

andrew Active Member

I'm ready to surrender...I don't ever want to touch another piece of sheet metal in my life!
    I'll see what I can do...

9. martyg

martyg Active Member

Andrew - have Lynn hook you up with a Customer Appreciation For. Your wife can by hre brother a pack for Christmas. Give her the form, she'll score a deal, won't have to shop, and you'll be a hero.

Lynn can be reached at lynn@mothertech.net. I am out hunting in E WA at an undisclosed location were clouds of Pheasant and Quail darken the skies like locust.

10. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Hey Marty, I'm heading east on Friday morning...where you at?

11. andrew

andrew Active Member

Marty...I know Lynn well (purely business of course a few emails and phone calls :clown:)...I've actually have purchased (4) packs, ironically two packs have been for my my wife's brother...I got him the assualt pack a few years ago after I bought my day pack, and then just recently took advantage of the "repeat client" deal after I purchased the turkey light pack.

So I think my only option is for "peace talks"...that and maybe a few square feet of siding on the house!

12. chuckarhun99

chuckarhun99 New Member

My Pella Bird-n-Lite has been a great pack. I have noticed that a lot of pack are Nylon, cordura, etc. This one is canvas, with a coated nylon game pouch. Mainly I just don't like the extra noise of nylon hunting chukar. My Brittany's learned to drink from pop-top water bottles and the Pella has two side water bottle carriers that fit bottle really well, very secure. It has plenty of room for some snacks, a jackets, doggie first-aid kit and extra water in the back outside pouch. Definitely a good design in my opinion since I mainly hunt the Owyhee's and a single loop may take most of the day.
    My .................02

john

13. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Simms Vertical Master - for those high flying birds.:rofl:

14. Randy Sheaff

Randy Sheaff New Member

I guess I'm really getting old, But all you need is water for your dog(s), a pocket to put your shells in and the bag from Safeway that you bought microbrew. I hope you fill it!

15. martyg

martyg Active Member

Yeah - but you still have to carry all of the stuff. Yesterday I covered 14 miles and gained 2,000 feet. It sure is a lot more enjoyable with gear that works.