Pattern White Akroyd Dee

My first Dee attempt... Sorry it's a bit out of focus...

Alec Jackson 1.5 blind-eye hook
Dacron "gut" loop
Tail - Yellow topping and jungle cock
butt - black ostrich
body 1 - yellow and orange dubbing
rib - Silver oval
hackle - yellow saddle hackle
mid divider - black ostrich
body 2 - black dubbing
rib - gold oval
hackle - Black BEP
throat - gadwall
cheeks - jungle cock
wings - Goose

Your first attempt?! Lookout!
This is a fine example of why the Akroyd is perhaps the most vivid and imitated of the Dee flies. (Notice that it's, in effect, a G. B. Skunk that's been to finishing school.)
The jungle cock used in the tail is an eye-catching variation. The black ostrich butt divider is wasted, as it's indistinguishable from the black dubbing. Ostrich herl butts stand out best next to thin floss or tinsel bodies.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Actually Nooksack Mac, wouldn't the GBS be just the "laid back Ackroyd" since the Ackroyd was around first? :D ;)

I think the joint (aka divider of ostrich) is more there to hide the transition between the two. Usually you'll get a buildup there (except those who spend alot of time just tying display/competition flies), so they use the joint to make a more "pleasing" transition.

The ackroyd has always been one of my favorites of the spey/dee flies. I've done quite a few variations (on tubes, waddingtons, and flyhooks). What I love about flytying, you can really experiment. Even on old patterns like this.