Whitefish Patterns??

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Caddis Skater

Caddis Skater Member

I catch them all the time on the Yakima and other rivers. Whitefish
    will eat the same flys that trout will. I would say anything small in
    the winter time will do the trick i.e. pheasant tail, lightning bug, prince nymphs
    and egg patterns will all do the job, keep in mind Whitefish are fall spawners and
    are really active this time of year. Good luck.

:beer2:

2. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

Although I've never targeted them, I have had days where they saved me from the skunk. The fly that seems to do it for me is a copper bead head pheasant tail.

3. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

seen a handful of white fish on the green the other day. one pool had a nice little school of them about 20 or more. all around flaming gyser

4. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    Hi Ron,

This summer I fished a tailwater fishery in Utah and caught a lot of white fish with #20 PT. My friends even call me "White fishing guy". I was using indicator and split shots to fish deep in a deeper and faster water behind riffles. I think the Whitie did like to congregate in the deeper pool (but not slow) like Curtis mentioned. For the shape of their mouth, I won't surprise they can easily pick up small things on the bottom... The only problem is the hook up. Their mouth are relatively soft, we lost a lot of fish, and we think it might due to it's soft mouth and the tiny flies.
    I also read an article said Whities prefer little drag presentation... I am not sure what they means... maybe I was fishing with drag : ) ... I love to fish them actually, they are pretty good fighters.

Mark

5. Warmonger

Warmonger newt

flaming gyser? i am lost

where is this:confused:

6. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Warmonger,

It's by the Green River near Auburn.

7. Warmonger

Warmonger newt

Yeah i was sad, didn't even google it before i asked!

thx!

What colors are doing good. Gary at the yakima fly shoppe said brown and yellow whitefish flies are doing well, anyone else?

8. PhlyPhisher

PhlyPhisher New Member

Hey REE,
    I haven't logged on in quite awhile. I've really wanted to get in some fishing up on the Sky River near my cabin, but I found out the only thing open in that section above the falls on the S. fork is Whitefish. I know nothing about fly fishing for them, so I thought I'd log on and see if I could get some advice.
    I was surprised to see your inquiry about fishing for them. You asked all the questions I was going to ask. (Thanks! :thumb:) I would appreciate it if someone could let me know if there are any Whitefish in the upper S. fork of the Sky worth the effort going after. I'd also like to know how plentiful they are, and if they're good eating?
    One last thing...I've never heard of a hook size restriction on any of the type of fishing I've ever done. Where would I find such info. in the state fishing regs.?
    Thanks for the help. :)

9. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Phly,

Yur welcome. In my copy of the regs it's on page 26 under Whitefish Gear Rules. "Fishing gear is restricted to one single point hook, maximum hook size 3/16" point to shank (hooksize 14), and bait is allowed."

I know folks who eat them and like them. I just don't eat fish with scales.

REE

10. BFK

BFK Member

My understanding of the rules, which may be faulty, is that "whitefish gear rules" apply only to those waters where it's stated as a requirement in the pamphlet. This follows the rationale that selective gear rules don't apply statewide but only in specific waters--where stated. So you'd need to check the regs on each stream to see if the restrictions apply.

Whitefish, IMO, are great smoked; otherwise, they're too much like trout to be tasty.

11. MotoXmg

MotoXmg Member

...nymphing a GlowBug Egg works quite often... Been some pretty big ones on the Hood River lately....Deschutes always produces big ones this time of year as well, especially below Shears Falls.

12. lee sieckmann

lee sieckmann New Member

Back in the 70's we used to fish a tiny woolly worm along the edge of the ice in the CdA River during the winter. A #14 with clipped hackle worked well. Some may have tipped it with a maggot, but it worked without one. Try a number of colors. I seem to recall orange working well.

13. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

As if anyone knows what their wife is thinking ;); your statement says it all, right there.

14. Don Stracener

Don Stracener New Member

Does anyone have a pic of a good pattern? I would like to add more patterns to my software and I don't have any for Grayfish.

Thanks, Don

15. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

IN my experience, any small nymph will work (they have small mouths and often don't pick up big flies well enough to get hooked); a little flash helps and keeping it on the bottom is important.

The rules that require small hooks in restricted whitefishing areas are, I believe, in place in order to minimize the chance that steelhead will take the hook. These areas usually permit bait to be used. So, while it is true that whities are best taken on small flies, I don't think the rules were written to assist fishermen in making that choice, but rather to protect steelhead (and to make it easy for a DFW officer to tell what the fisherman is targeting).
    D