Who is actually fishing or fished a dryline for winter steel in the PNW?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, Nov 10, 2011.

1. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

+1 to the above.

2. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

what up dog?? how you and k8 doing...mexico?
    long time !!!

Paul

3. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

What lines are being used and leader set up?

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Custom cut Scandi's by Steve Godshall (stevegodshall@charter.net) and sinking furled leaders made by 'furl girl' out of Utah. Furled leaders are made (or mostly) out of Kevlar thread so you could drag in a tree with these. They have a small tippet ring on the end so all you have to do is add a few feet of leader and you're good to go. 10-12 pound floro leader and you're 'locked and loaded.'
    Fred

5. Philster

Philster Active Member

When I moved here 11 years ago, I found a copy of McMillan's book for a good price, and I went for it. I still have some flies, and some bare hooks up to and including 5/0 partridge M hooks, and I still have the book. I caught few fish. It works. It actually worked better in higher water when the fish are on the beach, than in broad slow runs for me. No indicator take will ever produce the excitement of noticing something "wrong" in the way your line is floating along.

6. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I'll look up that "furl gurl" fred....that might solve the problem i've noticed..

DId you stick with it phil or ?

7. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

I run the old Beulah Tonic with about 15 feet of mono leader, just cause that's whats handy.

8. Philster

Philster Active Member

I used it when it was high percentage. Spey flies in soft lies against the beach when I was very certain I was first on the water. Mostly "bad fishing" periods when "the fish weren't in" during the winter. I caught fish. I don't recall any fish from the middle of a run. My first three years here I had a ton of time. As time got tighter, and I had to fish more banker's hours and share the water, I went more high percentage, covering as much water as I could with tips.

9. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Yeah, reading Mc's book the chart on temps is very interesting...I'm going to try it when practical...might stick with it all winter if the temps stay right...my most valuable tool is going to be my thermometer I think...

10. Philster

Philster Active Member

While I'm not really comfortable with them ethically, let me know if you want same "heavy irons".

11. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Thanks Phil...I've gone wadds. cotter pins and tubes...Those big boys stay on my bench when I get the urge to tie and ruin another classic pattern..

12. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

I would be willing to take a few of those heavy irons.

13. idahokid

idahokid David Willey

I use a floating line with a poly leader.Then a few feet of tippet.

14. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

My Bad, missed your post. :>(

Others are good, but Joni will build you what you want/think you need, as in 'one offs' for 2-hander rods. (As may well be others, just never asked.) Sounds silly, but with low water, off a dry line, her 'sinkers' are the Cat's Meow with a weighted fly. Puppies Hunt. Used same on the Bitterroot (3wt spey), Rogue, Deschutes, N. Umpqua and Chetco. Low flows .... Ohoooo Ya.

Confidence = results?

fae

15. 808steelheader

808steelheader Active Member

View attachment 47459 View attachment 47458 View attachment 47457

The dryline deep wet fly swing works! I've been fishing an old 8.5' 8wt glass rod with an 8 wt Ambush line to get into the fish pictured above. Since the Ambush has a short head I use a strategy of feeding slack into the drift to make up for the inability to back mend with this line. The flies used above were a bead headed MOAL, 3/0 Winter's Hope, and 5/0 Winter's Hope. No lethal hookings with the big irons.