Who makes the Cabelas rods and reels??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jacob Peterson, May 27, 2009.

1. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

I've now got 2 cabelas rods. A 5 wt package and a 3 wt package. I've caught a ton of fish on the 5 and I am starting to break in the 3 and I can't wait for the streams to open to really get some use from the 3. Both are super cheap rods that I love the feel and action of.

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Years ago Cabela's did use Loomis blanks for their fly rods, though they weren't the same blanks wearing the Loomis label. With the influx of good blanks from China, I assume their house label rods must be sourced there. More significantly I think is who designs them. The Chinese factories build to specifications, so with good designs, there are now a heck of a lot of good inexpensive rods made offshore.

Sg

3. herl

herl Member

Constantly changing. If you haven't noticed they have been coming out with new models of everything, every year or so. There old stuff was pretty big US brands, like Loomis, Fin-nor. Now it is definately all China, etc. For the most part, I think it is a good value but don't expect it to be extensivly field tested, or to be around for very long. I will say they do stand behind their shit (even if that is exactly what it is at times) - take it back and you will get a refund or replacement.

4. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

I have read that the quality of some Cabelas products is slipping.They have a reel that I would have killed for but after reading the reviews I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot zebco. Has anyone heard the same?

5. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    I'm pretty sure their USA rods are St Croix blanks, I got this from an inside source. Their import blanks could be from anywhere. I'm sure they get their reels from the same import farm that also is the supplier for other reel manuf ie; orvis,ross,okuma,etc. Only dif is the drag materials...

6. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

Im gonna make a rod i guess, about the same price, but seems like the quality could be better, if i dont suck:D

7. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

One thing about Cabelas, they don't seem to censor unfavorable reviews. A couple of their branded machined reels have awful reviews. I have a RLS for my Finesse 3 weight that has consistent very good - outstanding reviews. Looks very similar to Ross but not as substantial as a C2. Drag is silky smooth with very fine adjustments.

8. fly punk

fly punk lunatic trout bum

loomis used to make the blanks, now it St. croix, and the reels are made by Targus.

9. fly punk

fly punk lunatic trout bum

The new water shed reel is made by ross.

10. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

How do you Fin-nor makes some reels? Which models?

11. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

I talked to a guy who has some connections. I think the last Fin-nor made cabelas reel came out a a few years ago and it isn't sold at cabelas anymore though.

12. BFK

BFK Member

What Salmo said, almost...I have one of the L-Techs sitting here waiting to be initiated, and it says (or the stickers do) that it was made in Korea. A lot of the overseas stuff--under whoever's label-- is fair to excellent quality, depending upon the design. In any one rod or reel factory, you might have two dozen brands being made, all to different specs. Korea is gaining in reputation for quality-made fishing tackle.

In an aside, now that the economy and the value of the dollar is messed up, tackle manufacturers are moving to Mexico for a lot of their manufacturing as there are several very distinct benefits to building stuff closer to home. And we're not talking low-end stuff or lures, but higher quality gear (I think the article I skimmed said rods as well).