Who's not afraid to admit it!

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Brookie_Hunter, Mar 17, 2011.

1. [WR]

[WR] Member

have, and once in a very blue moon fish with, a 7 ft EC 4 wt and Pflueger Automatic that i used on the small creeks of central penna as a teener. caught lots of fish of various descriptions with that combo. also lost at least a trio of very old bamboo rods over the years since i was first given one at age 9 [my first rod] most were 3 section 9 footers. damn i wish i wasn't admitting this....

2. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

My first fly rod, given to me in the late 1970's, was an Eagle Claw 8'6" 7wt with metal ferrules. It sucked (floppy as hell...I can still feel it today). Though I hear the new 2010+ versions are very nice, and a steal at their current prices. In any case, that old EC was n-o-t-h-i-n-g like the best modern glass of today (Steffen, Wojnicki, Scott, many more).

I did used to like the Eagle Claw spinning rods from that era. Those were different and very nice for their era until early graphite showed up.

3. hedburner

hedburner Member

Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    My first flyrod was a Denco 8 foot 7 weight. With an Pflueger 1494 and level scientific anglers 7 wt line. Whole deal was around 20 bucks brand new.

4. Philster

Philster Active Member

I still have my first "real" rod. An Eagle Claw convertible spinning/fly rod! I keep it in its original sock in its original tube. Many a bluegill succumbed to that bad boy.

5. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

I have mine too.

I had been flyfishing for several years already but when I was 13, I bought a Browning Silaflex and level line at the local K-Mart with my lawn mowing money. Seems like it was about $20 or so. Still have the rod although the foam rubber grip is pretty crumbly but for a 30-something year old bargain-bin rod, it looks pretty good. With a new grip, it'd fish just fine.

That rod killed a schitt-load of bass and bluegills in the farm ponds behind my house growing up in Alabama.

6. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

I recently added the new 6.5ft 4/5wt Eagle Claw Featherlight to my collection. Haven't had it on the water yet but it lawn casts really nice.

7. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

If a rod pleases me it matters now how much I paid for it.

8. mojo

mojo Member

Ain't that the truth. Just wish others saw it that way.
    FWIW, I started on an EC back in the late 60's. The new one I bought really stinks imo. I should mention it's the $14 butt over tip one I got a few years back. It hinges worse than my back yard gate and it has different sized eyes on it. Not in graduating sizes either.
    I did hear the latest re-incarnation is much better than the one I have.

Alan

9. Brookie_Hunter

Here's the latest Eagle Claw I've just added to my collection, a 5 1/2ft, 5wt Featherlight in near mint condition. Though it's not the highest regarded rod, it's nonetheless a pretty rare beast. Can't wait to string it up and give it a cast.

10. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

You've motivated me. I think I am going to get Featherlight and a 1492 and go to town this summer!

11. Brookie_Hunter

Welcome to the club! :thumb: You'll be pleasantly surprised what ~ $25 buys. The 1492 will go great with the 7fter. I like something just a tad lighter on the 6.5fter, like an old Martin Tuna Can or Horrcks-Ibbotson Sportcraft 60.

12. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I've actually thought about getting one just for the heck of it. But I never seem to run across them anywhere.

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

My dad had some Eagle Claw fly rods. I did my first fly fishing with them. For some reason I remember one or two of them were white. Is my memory faulty, very likely, or did Eagle Claw make white rods also. This would have been back in the late fifties, early sixties.

14. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

I'm no authority on these old rods, but the only white colored rod I'm aware of from back in the day were Shakespeare Wonderods. I see them from time to time.

15. Brookie_Hunter

Starting in the mid-60's sometime and through 1972, Wright & McGill/Eagle Claw made a 7ft solid glass fly rod, the Panfish PF-7 that was white with brown wraps. Could that have been it?