why has steelheading become so popular?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Oct 3, 2011.

1. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Not pointing fingers, I just think that the concept is why a lot of people have gotten into the "sport".

2. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

I see what you are saying, and to a degree I agree. There are a few guys running around out there trying to put up big numbers and video taping etc. and pimping a resource, but I think they are the noisy minority.

3. Chloe's DAD

Chloe's DAD New Member

i fished for steelhead ever since my grandpa taught me how to hold a rod and he always fly fished and i never had the chance cause i lost him at a young age but i chose to fly fish for a challenge not for the bandwagon so you can sit on the couch and watch football all you want since is a corporate bandwagon and there is no challenge sitting in front of a box drownin your sorrows on the nfl sucking when a monster sea going trout drowns my fly.:thumb:

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

I flyfish for steelhead because it makes me really happy.

5. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

I flyfish for steelhead because I enjoy banging me heed against walls;
    but I'm not a snappy enough dresser for golf,
    and I'm too lazy to take on global warming.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Caffine free for almost a week. I'm gonna let your fuck-tard comment slide because I know you are super cool.

7. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

I dont see how video taping or catching alot of fish is really pimping a resource... just sayin.

8. verendus

verendus Member

I've been steelheading for the last 10 years. I've driven tens of thousand miles looking for them. I gave up trout fishing. I no longer chase Kings, stripers, tunas like I used to. I don't think steelhead exists. I've never seen one with my own eyes, let alone held one in my hand. I think they are just a figment of people's imagination. It's a vain illusion! So let's all get back to trout fishing.

9. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

that is why I used 'and'.

10. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Home Page:
    Actually I see it as AGAIN becoming popular, in the 70's and to the mid 80's it was more popular than ever. The Bolt decision took its toll on the attitude of the old timers and the push went to big Hatchery programs ie: Cowtits.
    If you talk fly fishing for them that is what they did the most before the discovery of bait cures and reels that could handle the fish w/o blowing up,,in the 20's it was common thought that steelhead were nearly uncatchable due to gear explosion, this made the single action fly reels the choice of those with the desire to catch them.
    The numbers of steelheaders fishing now is nothing compared to the glory days in Forks were you could hardly park another truck and boat inside city limits on a week-end. 1985 there were Jet boats running up and down the Lower Puyallup catching the last big run of the river system, it never happened again, more steelhead were killed on the Puyallup that season in DEC. than the Cowlits...
    I think the latrest revolution is because we now are catching them in bigger numbers again with the latest techniques, Skagit lines, Spey rods all the rage and yes the bobber patrol has opened the catchability again to people with the desire to enjoy there natural surroundings.
    In the late 80's there was a huge push of people moving to Washington from other states w/o steelhead and those people are accepting the idea of pursuing steelhead as a sport highly envolved in the NW lifestyle. Especially now with run sizes at a peak in the cyclical changes of nature.
    We will see whom are the die hards if and when the cycle drops to what we seen in the 90's.

11. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

well put and insightful, from the perspective of a newer steel head fisher.

12. Robert Easterday

Robert Easterday Active Member

I second Mr. Triggs: Unfortunately, it's turned into more about the forces of advertising/marketing/hype than about actual substance. Wild steelhead are, however, still the best fish on the planet.

13. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

No offense to anyone, but the Internet and all of us who have had success with Steelhead and then post about how glorious it is have only to look in the mirror.

Steelheading is the pinnacle of flyfishing, they're so incredible, BLAH BLAH BLAH Post pictures of big bright chrome steelies, brag about how well they fight, and then talk about the wonderful pristine wilderness you caught them in.

Yeah Bob, it ~is~ advertising. And we've all done a very good job. This while runs are declining and whole systems are closing for the very seasons that made them famous (Thompson in the fall, Skagit/Sauk in the winter,etc).

There are still a few spots and a few times of the year when you can find good steelhead flyfishing in the continental USA. They're getting fewer and more crowded every year. And the advertising continues . . .

14. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Because of all the Groupies!!!

15. FLGator

FLGator Member

I've considered more than once at giving it up as an angler because of what it has 'become'. However, it is what I am and there are ways around the 'popularity'.