why spey?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Spey casting because in a lot of situations it's more effective to reach the place you want to reach. Just another arrow in my quiver.
    Spey FISHING because sometimes you want more from the experience than just to catch a fish.

2. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

For me, it was 2H overhead on the Deschutes for distance, to fight the wind, and to avoid double hauling all day. I found places that the OH did not work, but it took too long to get the spey down. I should have taken lessons up front. That would have saved a couple of years of frustration. Some time on the Saturday at the River with Aaron, Byron and others helped. A class with Mike Kinney was a great boost on the Clearwater.

Now those tight quarters are not much of a problem. I fish a long belly as much as possible. I am still working on distance to get at some holding water with little space behind and well over 100' out there.

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I got back into fishing with the fly after a brief but successful career as a gill netter and started hanging out with a few of the Skagit early adopters. They were all fishing these big ass 2 handed rods and looking super cool doing it. They got all the girls and were getting laid almost every night. I thought to myself that has to be the life and I could get the girls also. So I purchased a 9140. Of course one was not enough so the purchase of more and more rods soon followed with high dollar English made reels to adorn the handles. Hand built lines and tips to fit every circumstance. Trips to far away rivers to chase the steel that swam in them. Of coures there is a downside. The need for new and better rods. The latest in line technology. Hand built reels that annouce the hook up down the entire run. The cost to stay on top has financially ruined me. I can no longer afford to purchase new equipment and the old stuff isn't doing it anymore. It has been a downhill slide from stardom and I would warn any young man against trying a career as a 2 handed fishing god.

4. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

I'll awnser this one in 2 parts. The frist one is Why not?. In college I had a classmate that on a exam day not only started his exam but finished it in 2 minutes, and got a A for his quick work. The essay had one question. WHY??? nothing more then that. He sat there for a minutes and then simply wrote Why not? turned in his work and left the room. Makes one think for sure. It always makes me think of it when some asks me Why?

The other one is almost as good. I bow hunt which is hard in its self but for some reason I like to over complicate things so I started hunting with a longbow,recurve. Every one I knew always asked me Why? Josh why? I always awsered the same way " If you have to ask you just wouldn't understand"

5. soundflycaster

soundflycaster Member

At first spey fishing was just another tool in my fishing quiver to be brought out at the right time in appropriate conditions. The more I did it the more the artistry of it inspired me. The next was the challenge of just swinging flies....... Now I'm a spey geek. With the production of switch and spey rods that are just right for trout I chase them also by spey casting. I still fish other methods at times but prefer spey. Once you spey it is hard to go back!!

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Mumbles, I thought you heard............ the Orifino girls cheerleading team. They're quite insperational.

7. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Pan what is the santian like to fish in winter, spring? My daughter is at Willamette right down the road and I need something to do while visiting her? One little shop in salem said good for winter and summer runs??? pm me if you would...

Worth taking the rod down for?

Sand if your hunting with a recurve longbow then yeah..I hear what your saying...soon you'll be going ted nuggent and using a spear??? :)

That said...I just wondered as after I started using one...unlike Kerry I never got laid..though a few sympathy hugs were given by the girls who could and can still whoop my ass, Like Adrianne up at M &Y's or K8...Crumps main squeeze....but I found it ran over into all my fly fishing....Two hand overhead casting on the beach..no more shoulder problems with double hauling all day...
    Trout fishing with a 11' 4wt switch...can move big stones flies or skate lemire's caddis and just get a big shit eating grin from those big T fish smashing them and running off line.....
    Even with a single hand I will practice my spey casts and get can in under the bush and into places I couldn't before with one....

So many different methods and uses...sad that "Why not" is the best reason for some...

8. fisshman26

fisshman26 Active Member

Rumour has it that Ade will be at SOR this year hope she kicks some ass!!! I am sure she can!!!

9. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Its great from March through May, then the summer brats move in. It also get's a small "ghost run" of spring nates and I've had the suprise of running into a couple of these bohemith fresh fish in early June. The best place to fish is the fisherman's bend recreation area just south of Mill city. There is some amazing swing water in that two milw stretch of water and some big ass winter nates. It is one of my favorite pieces of water and get's underfished and over looked for the coast and PDX area winter fisheries. Let me know when you head over and I'll tell you what rocks to stand on.

10. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

beautiful I will...I drove up to that spot and was looking at the water last fall when we took her down Pan.

Bruce...so maybe we'll be graced with this then..and Tim is going as well..figure a new club might happen with him....

11. fisshman26

fisshman26 Active Member

I wont go there other than to say that last summer had both her and April stay at my place and fish the Columbia for a few days ;-)
    Not only is Ade a great caster but she is a hell of a fisherperson!!!

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Luke, what is up with your avatar pics of extremely obese women? Is it some kind of inside joke or fetish?

13. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I spey because I can't single hand a sinking tip 8wt for shit. Even my crappy spey casts are easier and farther than anything I can get from a single hand. Plus, it's wonderful not having to worry about the back cast as much. though that is replaced by worrying if I am going to send a steelhead fly into the back of my head at some point. But that's my own fault I suppose. I should practice more.

14. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

it's a downhillslide from stardom and I would warn any young man against trying a career as a 2 handed fishing god.[/QUOTE]Kerrys

where were you 15 years ago, with this sage advise ?

15. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

No doubt..she hooked me up with my first spey set up...and when you say a hell of a fishy lady...

oh yeah...though she'd be embarrassed by my saying that...K8 has rouge angles and is right up there as well...