why speyrods?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by clockwork, Oct 15, 2004.

1. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Word, Jerrry

Word, Jerry.

But I love the looks of my spey stuff. Makes me feel big and important.
    Somehow it has completely captured my imagination and I chose places because they are amenable to spey casting.

I'll never go back. Spey is where it's at.

Bob, the Speyman who doesn't even know the basic casts but when I do... :D

2. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Home Page:
    Yes,

MAC the: "I love the quotable Bob Lawless!!!"

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    LOL Bob. Well, I do most of my fishing in boat. Hard to use those big rods in the boat. Just take too much room. LOL. I've tried a few times to do it. Especially when it came to unbuttoning a fish. Found it was easier with the one hander in a boat. LOL.

4. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Well

all the reasons have been stated above, one that may not be there is that its safer than single handing from the perspective of having a large weighted hook embedded into you while casting. Started spey rods three years ago after 41 years with single hander, yet to hook myself with the spey on a cast, but did many times with a 9-10 foot single hander over the years.

I am still not convinced it is the right rod though for dry fly work.

:D :beer2:

BG

5. Charlie Erdman

Charlie Erdman In search of steel

just out of curiousity, reading all of the pluses of spey casting would lead me to believe that it would be a lot more practical for saltwater fly fishing as well. I am from the east and do a fare amount of saltwater ff in june and august and have never seen spey casting in the saltwater. Just curious if there are more disadvantages in saltwater, or simply it just hasn't caught on yet as it has with steelhead, etc. ff.

Thanks

charlie

6. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Two-handing the salt

I have no personal experience with it, but I know that a rising number of saltwater fly anglers are turning to two-handed fly rods. However, these aren't spey rods. They're somewhat shorter, stiffer, fast-action rods used to cast shorter heads, usually from shore, with overhand casts, not water-anchored spey casts. CND and Meiser, in Oregon, have developed specialty models for this use.

7. calebsb

calebsb New Member

The 2handers are getting a reputation among bonito and false albacore fishermen when the speedsters are in the breechways of New England. Those fish have a tendency to stick close to the rocks, so you can dead drift a fly right in front of you and still be just a flip away from them if they break on the opposite side.

8. msteudel

msteudel Mark Steudel

Home Page:
    I think someone said that one of the minuses of fishing spey style in the salt is that if there isn't any current around, but I don't really know that.

Can you do two handed over head casts with a spey rod?

9. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Yes you can.

10. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Another reason

As Bob L, says it looks cool and makes you feel cool and important on the river. The deep swing of a winter spey drift, priceless ! :beer1:

[​IMG]

iagree

BG

11. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

There really isn't any Spey casting for the Salt. I overhead off the beach with a 13 footer and most folks may be using a Spey rod, but they call it two handing. Bob Meiser is sending out a 15 footer for me to run through some trials off the beach. These are usually very fast rods of scandihoovian design that I don't feel are very practical for Spey casting. There are some 11 foot models the guys on the east coast seem to like because they can tuck it under an armpit and do a hand over hand fast strip. For me I like the longer rod because I can generate faster line speed with less effort. Besides, the chicks really dig it when I guy can get it out 120 feet in one cast. That equals more time in the water per cast. Besides myself, I only know of one other person that twohands off the beach.

12. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Well Matt I have been known to do it our here in the Western Gls, and still have not seen anyone else either.

Guess we are the U.S. fresh water spey surf pioneers, some one has to do it !

:beer1: ;)

BG

13. yakcanyon

yakcanyon Banned or Parked

there are plenty of local flyfishermen that use two-handed rods off the beach.

14. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Where are they Yak? I would like very much for us to gather somewhere and pool our resources. I am tired of trying to figure it out alone.

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Matt, that would be me. I was using them off the beaches out on the Key Peninsula over 5 years ago. Out near Devils Head on KPN. Would fish some of the private beaches with them, since I had no backcasting room (since it was a high cliff) and the good fishing was just out of reach. Now, just want to buy back my Speys once I'm back to work.