Why Steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Muskypicker, May 8, 2011.

1. Muskypicker

Muskypicker Member

So after a lifetime of conventional fishing, this is my first year of pursuing fly fishing full time.
    The more about fly fishing I read, the more I read about so many people truly obsessed with steelhead fishing. Can you help me understand? What is it about steelhead that makes people so passionate about pursuing them?

Chris

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    It's one of those things that can only be explained through experience. Everything about steelheading sounds miserable: worst weather, solid skunkings, repetetive step swing routine.... But there's a mystique about steelhead that I haven't found in any other fish.

3. bkerbs

bkerbs Member

You will not understand until you feel the tug. The tug is the drug.

4. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

If I really knew the answer to this question I could be rich. But alas, I am not, and I keep buying more things to continue my addiction. That's really about the closest I can get to answering your question. I thought steelheaders were crazy before I started. Now I am just another addict/junkie like the rest of them. Kinda like hookers and blow, you just don't know until you try it a few times....just sayin'. (sorry, just had to slip that in there somewhere).

5. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

I think it's more like misery loves company. Steelhead fishing is (as mentioned) time wasted, humbling, expensive, and conducted usually in shit weather. Each one of us, that has put the time in knows what a pain in the ass the first one is, so, if you want to really know, do your time. Lots of good info on this site, lots of good shops that can help you with gear, and best of luck.....Sucker!

J/K.....(kind-of).

6. Muskypicker

Muskypicker Member

I look forward to reading more responses. Not too sure how many chances I will get to hunt any Steelhead out here in Colorado...

Fishing for Steelhead kind of reminds me of fishing for muskies, or so it sounds, but musky fishing was usually in decent weather.

7. dreamonafly

dreamonafly Active Member

I got 3 word for you... " it ain't easy" ..

8. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

You don't necessarily have to fish in crappy weather to catch steelhead. I've caught them while wearing shorts and sandals, but it really depends on when and where you are fishing. Lots of guys prefer winter/spring steelheading, which is going to offer the worst weather.

To understand steelhead fishing you really do need to get out and do it. I guess you could compare it to muskie fishing in that you are putting in a lot of time for the chance of catching a trophy sized fish. The experience is different though. Part of the reason its so popular among fly fishermen over here is because other quality fisheries are not readily available. We don't have the rich trout streams they have just to the east, or the trophy lakes like BC. Sadly enough most of our steelhead runs aren't doing so well and are no longer able to withstand recreational fishing pressure.

9. LD

LD Active Member

Read Dec Hogan's book. As close as you will get to understanding without doing it.

10. RoyS

RoyS Member

Proof he's never hooked up with one...

RoyS

11. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Roger that...

12. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Come on guys. Tell him the truth.

The best part about fishing for steelhead is...

We really don't like catching fish, just fishing.
    :rofl:

13. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

why do we fish for steelhead?

becuz we are fucking sadistic morons who like camoflague and gortex. we have a celebrated short attention span, it lasts about the length of one presentation. on the hangdown, the withdrawals strat to kick in immediately and we begin to fiend for the next cast. So we make it... next thing you know a week has gone buy and you have ate nothing but hotdogs, cans of chilli, cheap beer, and coffee for the last 5 days of 33 degrees and raining, with 15 mph wind.

14. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Why steelhead? I am not sure I wish it wasn't true now my steelhead addiction is waning I grow more and more tired of steelhead fly fishing every year mostly because of the attitudes of so many people who pursue steelhead. Mostly the people who see steelheading as some extreme sport that's all about the rush and the excuse of being on the river as a reason to drink like frat boys or using it as another left wing outing to smoke dope like hippies. Another turn off is the guys out there just looking to put numbers of fish on the bank so they can post pictures of them and make a name for themselves.
    The only steelheading i am interested in doing anymore is in a few select locations with a few select friends..

Still i cannot bring myself to move away from steelhead!!!! Every time i think about moving to make more money or to live a happier lifestyle, ( life in the Portland/ Vancouver area is hectic and horrible) i just cannot bring myself to do it.. Like it or not I am still a steelheader.. and a whiner.

15. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    On an average day steelheading I meet one or 2 people. I can't see how people are a problem here. Those that I do meet are just fine. Seems like a random cross section of society to me.

To answer thequestion. Swinging is the reason why. That and the math.

Go Red Sox,
    cds