Why Steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Muskypicker, May 8, 2011.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I fished for the fish of a 1000 casts for many, many, many years when I lived in Washington. I caught a few with flies and bait and spinners. I guess I tried it all. I just got tired of fishing in the shitty weather. Now I fish for Brown trout and I find them just as exciting as having a Steelhead on the end of my line.

I guess what it boils down to is what trips your trigger.

2. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

you might enjoy steelhead fishing more if you lay of the judgement/contempt for other people? Just fish for yourself and who cares what other people on the river are doing (within limits).

best of luck with enjoyment, and stuff. dustin.

i gotta agree with charles. I have met many people on the river that i could stereotype, but it is extremely hard to apply a sterotype to steelhead fishers, since they are all ages and from all walks of life. :)

It sucks that other people enjoying steelhead reduces your enjoyment of them, but so be it.

3. Han Double

Han Double Member

because the only thing worse than wanting something badly is to finally get it.

its also the natural progression of the sportsman and his ego. the rifle hunter eventually finds archery, the bowhunter trades his compound bow for one that is primitive and goes after elephant with it.

just as the bait fisherman turns to fly fishing. I imagine in a lot of ways its how people hang on to an obsession that consumed such a large part of their life instead of admitting that maybe ______ just ain't doing it anymore, so through tons of work and depravation they take on the ultimate to reach what is considered by many the pinnacle of the sport just to once again find their rocks and get them off.

for many people steelhead fishing is like theoretical physics and space time engineering, in the way that there are as many rules as there are contradictions and mysteries can become fact with so little effort that fact can also lead back to mysteries. they study water charts and fly patterns and look for answers to the unanswerable.

and for many more still, steelheading is a form of martyrdom. they head out in the nasty weather in hopes that someone will notice them heading out into that nasty weather and maybe if they are lucky enough they will hear that someone utter "he is hard core"

and many people just like to fish for steelies because they are fierce grabbers that put on one hell of show and if you believe in catch and release, then really thats all there is.

or perhaps its a combo of all of the above.
    there are no answers.

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

You have to be pretty ducked in the head. We're a rare breed of self centered masochists.

5. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

there are two types, summer and winter....there is IMHO no contest..Summer fish are aggressive, will come to your fly, will take dry flies, small bugs etc. There is no greater rush and the weather can be anything from shorts and wet wading to your normal winter gear at the end...
    Think of your trout fishing, if you do that, but your trout go into the teens and if very lucky 20 pound range and fight like nothing else I've caught (fresh water)

Winter, hmmm I often ask myself why as well and the above answers are all correct...You have to have something inside you that makes you smile in the worse conditions because you are out there...Can be said of both to some degree as the seasons change over..but for the most part, winter steelheading used to be about getting out there and not seeing many other lunatic's...lots of hiking..lots of casting practice...lots of head scratching...

Sometimes I think just like Rob..it's over romanticized...If they were around in numbers like they used to be, we would be hooking a lot more and maybe it wouldn't sound so romantic instead of like what it is, Medevil....lol...but when you get the fever, it will change you...

I don't think that has to do with steelhead as much as it is to just be out fishing...Steelhead are the reward...but for me, It wouldn't matter if it was trout, bulls etc. I gotta admit, swinging smaller rods and flies for the other species gives me as much pleasure...better if you hook a chrome bar while doing it..

I see just as many crazy bastards out fishing in other parts of the country where there are no steelhead and to be honest, in a lot worse weather then we claim to have out here...but that said...When you meet another steelheader, whether from PNW, Russia, BC, Midwest...you only have to say..."Steelhead" and with the right ones, you'll get that smile and nod of the head...not much else needs to be said..

6. Muskypicker

Muskypicker Member

Sounds pretty intriguing...where would I go to get my first taste, and would I need to get a spey rod and know how to cast with proficiency before I'd get any enjoyment out of it? I get weekly emails from Deneki Outdoors which look pretty amazing. I'm not going to find any here in Colorado...where would you recommend a first-timer to go (guided and hopefully tutored, of course). Thanks everyone. I'm sure I sound like a total idiot, but this is all new to me.

7. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

cause it's the best way to fish beads

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Call up Jeff Brazda or Jim Kerr. If you take a trip up here for your first time without a guide, you'd just about be wasting your time in my opinion (if getting a fish is your goal).

9. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

All I can say is this... If you have to ask!! You just wouldn't understand. :)

10. JS

JS Active Member

Really guy?

11. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Han Double, you are an experienced steelhead fisherman.

12. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

There's defiantly a mystique surrounding it, but I agree that it's over-romanticized. If you rely on the internet you will think that they are about as common as unicorns.

13. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Rob, how is moving to Portland, moving away from steelhead? Portland is perhaps the best steelhead center to live in the lower 48. Not to mention, you can live in the rural outskirts of P-town, be in the country, be 15 minutes from the city, and be a stone's throw away from endless rivers. Oh, and another thing, never mention Portland and Vancouver in the same sentence---they have nothing in common.

14. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

I'm with Evan on this one. Do it, you'll learn a sh*t ton.

15. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

I'm with Pan here. There is nothing wrong with P-town in my opinion. There are a ton of steelhead rivers nearby, the city is nice, and when/if you get skunked on a days fishing there are plenty of nice 'establishments' to enjoy a beverage or two...just bring some extra cash. And Vancouver is lousy. No reason to hang out there at all.