Why Steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Muskypicker, May 8, 2011.

1. little rod

little rod Member

It is THE MOST ILLUSIVE FISH there is period.

2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I live in the Portland Vancouver area now. what i was saying is that i cannot bring myself to move away from steelhead....

3. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

for some1 who dislikes liberal dope smoking hippies u picked a hell of a town

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Muskypicker,

First and foremost, if you need to catch a steelhead on a fly, you shouldn't bother even trying. But if you're willing to use the least effective technique, and learn to use it as well as it can be used, you can achieve remarkable success at times. It's a challenge. If it were easy, every fucking idiot would be doing it.

Sg

5. ozcast

ozcast Active Member

AHMEN!!!! Thats why I live in Vancouver!

6. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

sorry but i disagree. there is so much more information available now than in the past about where to go and how to find water. guides are a good way to learn, but the best learning is discovering it yourself.

self exploration and discovery... or fishing beads from a moving boat... hard to choose:rolleyes:

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    And I also disagree. Someone coming from another state, never fished for steelhead, probably a very small window of time, and never seen the rivers. For a local, yeah, go explore. Taking a 3 day trip, get a guide.

8. ozcast

ozcast Active Member

You really just need to go out and do it this year. After a some river time you will be able to answer the question for yourself. It's a mixture of the fish and the places that hold the fish. The whole package. Fishing the real good water is a drug all in it's self.

9. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Among many things, it's also for me about what these fish go through to get to "me" ...
    They survive for 1-4 years in the wildest, most untamed frontier on planet earth, the ocean, dodging everything from sharks to whales and a ton of other things looking to eat them.
    They swim hundreds of miles, cross several dams, all to crush my swung fly like it owes them money, leaving me weak kneed and speechless. They convince some to quit there job, leave their family, and move to new geographic areas just to have the chance to experience them on a regular basis .
    Theres something simply indescribable, mystical, and different about these fish from any other, and when they reach in and grip your sole, you will be hooked for life, you will may not understand it, but you will know the look in anothers eye when you see it- They are of campfires, anticipation, creativity and form friendships that last a lifetime-
    It will just happen that way....
    They are the "Prince of fishes" as I've been told by a friend, they live up to that name and then some...

10. Muskypicker

Muskypicker Member

Any guide recommendations in Oregon? I will most likely be in the Portland area late summer/early fall for 3 or 4 days and would love to connect with a good guide to learn about the Steelhead. Of course I will would love to travel around the state if necessary. Thanks everyone.

Chris

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Jarad Skeels guides just on the other side of the border. He's posted on this thread, "JS."

12. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I don't have much to add to what has already been said. I do think that steelhead are generally over rated as a sport fish but exhibit the best combination of qualities I like in a fish; beauty, life history, size, speed, willingness to take the fly, diversity, and sporting qualities add up to be the perfect freshwater game fish in North America. Hardcore Atlantic Salmon anglers may disagree but having never fisher or caught one, I can't really comment on that.

I'm not completely possessed to chase steelhead over every other fish. When the rivers are blown or they are on the spawn, or environmental conditions are such that they severely restrict the chance of hooking a fish, I'll fish for or do something different. Fishing comes first. Fishing for steelhead comes a close second. However, when conditions, run timing, season, and location all line up, there is nothing I'd rather fish for. Steelhead are where my heart, mind and soul unite for now.

Should I experience freshwater dorado, bones, tarpon, permit or any other species that I have not done, then that could be subject to change. However, I don't see myself taking off to live in a tropical or other exotic location, so I'm content with my current situation by chasing steel.

13. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Because now and then, you get to shake the hand of god..

14. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

It's fun to pursue endangered species.

15. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

RATE THIS THREAD BUTTON.

Gave it 5 stars; great answers, but "The tug is the Drug" covered it for me. The 'anticipation' that this could be the run, THE cast, the, the, the ... and repeat.

fae