why would you poke

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Leroy Laviolet, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

By my lights, the Perry Poke is not a separate spey cast; it's a corrective movement that one may make within a spey cast, if needed.

The standard spey casts are named and differentiated by how one moves the fly from the dangle to the (initial) anchor placement. The D-loop backcast and forward stroke are essentially the same in all spey casts. In the middle, there is sometimes a need to adjust.

For me, the single spey cast continues to be above my pay grade. I can rarely execute one. The single spey is a splash-and-go cast with an abrupt angle change that I just can't handle. The Perry Poke converts the single spey into a water-anchor spey cast that is easy to do. It lines up the anchored fly and slack line while I rebalance myself for an easy, powerful D-loop.

Do you ever wonder why a baseball pitcher coils up like a startled lobster while kicking one leg high, like a Rockette? Because it works for him.

2. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

I poke because I can...and it helps my setup when my drop wasn't what I'd expected.

3. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

tree's....tree's and bank...

sometimes it's the only way you can get a cast out when your in the bush...

if you'd get off those huge bars on your big river you'd find out sucker!!!!

4. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

u need to come fish we me Golf, U can show me da poke with a 95' head on a 16' rod:rofl:

5. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

What were you doing watching SM2? Are you trying to convince yourself that skagit technique is as noble a pursuit as short, mid, and long bellies? I thought your mind was made up on this. Let's start a worm weight thread.:clown:

Poke if want to. Poke if you need to. If you're so badass that a setup never gets blown, or you're too efficient to have a poke enter your toolbox, then fish on bro, fish on.

6. Leroy Laviolet

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Why'd you go and bring all that up Brady? Has nothing to do with the thread-
    Point is, to be more clear, this cast seams to me not to be a cast at all, but a fix to a cast- Guys are now using it as a cast, not even trying to set an anchor in the right place I would guess- So, if you set the anchor correctly, why would you poke it? If you don't set the anchor correctly, why not put some learning into that, so you may be able to skip a whole step. That's what I was getting at- And I'm curious as to what use it may have that Iv'e missed- Can't have to many tricks in the bag-
    I only watched the skag trailer so there !! Probably you have an autographed copy :rofl:

7. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Yeah I hear what your saying L.L. I know of guys who use it exclusively, which I don't really get but hey if it works for them???
    Like I said, the only time i've used it is up right in the tree's or bush and you can't get any anchor set...but you can lift it, poke and very quickly punch it out with the D loop literally still in front of you so you don't tangle...it ain't pretty but it's fishable..
    Only other time i've used or tried it is in very fast current, you can snap it up and poke to set your anchor on the correct path you want to cast...very rarely do I use it for that though...

With a long line like your using I would probably only be using a single spey anyway but can see if you blew your lift how it might help reset it instead of casting back down river?

8. PT

PT Physhicist

I'm self taught, never had a lesson. I was doing the Perry Poke before it even had a name (that I knew of at the time). I learned it by trial and error. I was also doing the single spey, double spey, and snap t before I knew they had a name or even saw someone else do it. Started fishing the long rods before there were internet forums dedicated solely to that endeavour. Maybe that's why I do the PP.

Also, it doesn't take much time or energy if that's just what you're used to doing.

Question for another thread. Why does everyone cast these Skagit lines. Is it because they never learned how to cast a mid/long head?;) No need for anyone to answer that one.

9. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

My fault. I'll keep things on track next time:ray1:

No, I don't own it either. I've only watched the Sage ads:rofl:

But you're right. I understand if your fishing time is extremely limited and you prefer to make the most of your fishing time by using it to recover, rather than spend the time practicing casts. But if you're a pro, a-hem:confused:a-hem, I would think you would not need to to recover very often.

10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Different strokes please different folks, I'm trying to learn how to pp with my tenkara rod just to be different!!

11. Marcel

Marcel Member

+1 for tight qtrs casting.

12. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Other situations....

- Greater than 90 angle change on your cast facing an upstream wind. Please don't put it in your eye.
    - Huge flies that require 100% perfect setup for casting as well as a straight pull to set up (yes there are situations where this is true).
    - Super fast water where you don't want it to go too far upstream so it sinks deeply with dense tips and the poke buys you time and brings the tip to the surface
    - Change of pace. Skagit casts get boring.

13. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Ya, it sounds like dumping line on the D loop formation because you can't sweep and go properly.

14. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

It's just another arrow in your quiver. If it is really important to only use the most efficient cast then single spey! Unlike you, some of us sometimes screw up and it is a great recovery move.

15. Leroy Laviolet

Some good stuff here, and as usual, some of you responded as though you never read the original post, but hey, we've seen this befor:ray1: