Wild Hoh River Steelhead on the Menu

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by TomB, Feb 19, 2005.

1. salt dog

salt dog card shark

I've got to wonder if the Quinault wild steelhead runs are being protected by the Quinault tribe as well as the Makah tribal fishery is protecting the Chinnook?

2. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

True enough, as far as most tuna on the market is concerned. I am partial to St. Jude Albacore, which is troll caught in the Pacific. A lot more expensive than Chicken of the Sea, but it is about 10 times better tasting and harvested in a much more responsible manner. I guess the point I was trying to make is that some sort of campaign to educate the public could have an impact. Better than doing nothing, I suppose. . .

3. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Education is definitely an issue... I wish the troll-caught albacore was available in more stores just so the general public might notice that it exists. Although it's Sea of Cortez focused, www.seawatch.org has a ton of good info as well as some photos and video that will make most people question where their fish comes from.

4. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Im going to have a little chat with the resturant when my father gets home. Long distance doesnt work on our normal phones, gotta do it through cells :mad: . Tom, howbout you put together a draft of the letter. Or someone else who is well versed in writing may want to do it. I would volentear, but err....i suck in the grammer and spelling department. My words tend not to flow as nicely as most.

Peace,
    Andy

5. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    When I first moved out here I was walking through Pike Place Market and saw a sign that said :

"Wild Steelhead $3.99/lb"

I was amazed, shocked...I was new here.

I told my friends back east all about it and they bet me fifty bucks I was jerking them around. I photographed the sign and collected fifty bucks.

When I asked them why they sold Wild Steelhead at Pike Place Market they said:

"These are native caught fish and are wild, the healthiest fish you can eat".

Thus implying some kind of spiritualized "mojo" inherent in the flesh of Native caught wild fish. As if those fish contained no toxins or there were no ESA Endangered or Threatened wild fish issues here.

Public education is the only hope.

6. Ken Hunter

Ken Hunter Member

The fastest way to get the word out is through the media. The next step is to get the local politician to use "Wild Steelhead" in their campain speech right along with "Saving the Salmon".

Then the public will get on board as if our state fish was part of their heritage.

Get the media to talk and wright about it and things will start to get done. It's hard to buck the public when they all think it's the right thing to do.

Ken

7. TomB

TomB Active Member

Hey guys....please check out this post on another board because you can see the destruction of the Hoh steelhead run firsthand. Below the pics are links to send comments to the companies, which I heartily encourage all of you to do.

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=020745

Chris- Sorry for posting the link here, but I think it is important enough to most people here that they should see it, if you feel that it should be removed, i fully understand, and I will try to get permission from the original poster to copy his pics and message and post them here.
    -thomas

8. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Keep the pressure up guys with the email. The Wild Steelhead Coalition will soon get together with RU.

Leland.

9. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Home Page:
    My email has been sent!

Maybe we could use this forum (with Chris' permision) to generate the funds necessary to place an ad or two in newspapers here in the PNW to educate people about not eating wild steelhead and to bring more public awareness to this issue.

10. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

I'm not sure this will do any good. Even if they stop serving Steelhead it won't impact the tribe's netting. Nobody wants to do a direct tribe media blitz. We need to work at a higher political level, the exual level as commericals and other interests.

11. Bob Triggs

Home Page:
    While we are pointing our fingers of accusation at the tribes; why is it that some sport anglers feel that they have to go to the mouths of the rivers here and fish amongst the tribal nets?

Are those dangling, swinging and jigging hooks really helping the situation where so few fish are getting past low water and nets to bgegin with?

12. TomB

TomB Active Member

Bob- a valid criticism...however, i dont know if they are making any more impact fishing down low than they would be above. Also, c&r angling has a hellava lot lower mortality than a gill net. I think it is good that we all recognize the "take" associated with our fisheries method, but I think in this case that our "take" is a small fraction of that of the gill nets. Now sportsfishermen keeping wild steelhead is a completely different issue.
    -Thomas

13. Bob Triggs

Home Page:
    Tom,

That does not answer the question I posed above.

I specifically directed my question to the issue of sport anglers congregating at the lower river, in this case the Hoh- near the mouth of the river- and fishing amidst the legal tribal netting locations.

Especially during severe low water conditions, such as we are experienceing now, I dont think people should be sport fishing in close proximity to netting locations.

14. Davy

Davy Active Member

I can only have farm raised steelhead with butter and garlic?

Ok, I'll have the Cobb salad

15. TomB

TomB Active Member

Response from RUI-

Dear Thomas:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We value your patronage of our
    restaurants, and we can certainly appreciate your viewpoint on this
    issue. I have forwarded your concerns to our Director of Operations for
    Washington, as well as our Vice President of Purchasing, for their
    consideration.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Sincerely,