Wild/Native Rainbow Trout?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Trent, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Evan Smyth

Evan Smyth New Member

Rainbows=native in the northwest extending south to central cali. and east to western montana (Russia has native bows too). Brookies native to upper midwest and northeast. Browns native to Europe in particular Germany I think.

2. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Germany doesn't have any more native browns than the rest of Europe, but for some reason people here like to call them "German Brown Trout". They're native across all of Europe, Iceland, parts of north Africa, and east as far as Afghanistan.

3. JE

JE Active Member

The "German Browns" reference came about as a reference to the Von Behr brown of German descent to differentiate from the Loch Leven browns from Scotland. These two variations of the same species were among the earliest of the brown trout brought over and introduced successfully in the US. The Von Behr variety have more reddish spots than their Scottish brethren.
    -JE

4. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Cool, thanks for the info guys...I still can't find the damn article. The more I think about it, I think I might have misunderstood some of what it was saying...my memory sucks and time alters things in it.