Wild Steelhead for sale Online!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Ringlee, May 5, 2010.

1. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

Citori, great idea. They just got this in their email:

Gentlemen:

I live in Spokane and actually rarely eat fish. The reason I am sending this email is to express displeasure about the sale of wild steelhead (yes it is legal, sadly). Wild steelhead populations in Washington have been dropping steadily. Most sport fishermen only retain hatchery fish. In many river systems in the PNW, steelhead are considered an endangered species. Please consider wildlife conservation in your very own neck of the woods. Please consider that the laws that allow the catch and kill of wild steelhead are outmoded. The treaties which give our native tribes the right to sell fish commercially no longer make sense.

We have stopped plundering the remaining old growth forests. No new dams have been built in years. Folks are trying to be more “green” and aware of their impact on the environment. You can take a positive stand against the commercial fishing of sensitive native species.

100 years ago the Spokane river had steelhead and salmon. They are long gone.

2. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

This isn't anything new. I assumed it had been going on for years.... did I miss something.

3. Mike Lee

Mike Lee It's all about the sauce.....

Interesting....Pulled up the site to see what angle/motive they are moving/driving at. Came across their ventures of the "goal" the company had and reached to become world famous. They have now found a new vision.

"Now our vision is ‘World Peace, an idea whose time has come.’ How are we going to accomplish this? We don’t know fully yet. It will unfold as we go…When you take a stand and commit to something, it’s amazing how the world seems to line up with your commitment and all the right events seem to just happen…”

By their own words they should receive our emails,letters,comments, or what ever type of communications with open arms. With integrity. Perhaps we can help them in the regards to what is sold under the ethical sense and perhaps they can aid us in the education of others to avoid purchasing products such as wild steelheads from any vendor.

Here is a link to send your comments.

http://www.pikeplacefish.com/Contact-Us.html

4. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

More fun to just shoot `em. Of course, her Ladyship says that's my response to everything, but that's not true: I have been known to favor impalement.:rolleyes:

5. Broderick Smith

Broderick Smith SeaToTree

Email sent...this gets the blood going.

6. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

For anyone using this for their letter to Pike Place Fish, please note the date of the when the article was written - December 16, 2009. So in other words, this is referring to the 2008/2009 winter/spring steelhead run, not the 2009/2010 winter/spring steelhead run. So in other words, you might want to edit that piece of information if you are going to use the information contained in the letter written by the Wild Steelhead Coalition. Also, I’m not sure if the escapement figure for the most recent season has been completed yet. However, I would not want to include potentially inaccurate information in my own letter.

Regards,

Andrew

7. attack

attack Active Member

people need to stand out front and hand out fliers to folks going in telling them the facts of what they are supporting...i would do it myself if i didnt live 2000 miles away

8. Broderick Smith

Broderick Smith SeaToTree

Here is a reply i just got to my email from them:

I have received your email and will forward it to the owner. Please know that we don't buy any illegal or endangered steelhead. The Native Americans pretty much run the commercial steelhead industry in Washington and are highly regulated by the state. It is not illegal for them to catch and or sell wild fish. The fish are coming from rivers on the Olympic Peninsula, and if you check the link I sent you, you can see that the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife are not concerned with Steelhead populations in this area. Thanks for your concern. Anders @ Pike Place Fish

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/diversty/soc/soc.htm

9. Derek Young

Derek Young Emerging Rivers Guide Services

Home Page:
    The argument won't change - "we're not doing something wrong if the Gov't says it's OK."

10. attack

attack Active Member

email response i recieved from pikes place:

"I have received your email and will forward it to the owner. Please know that we don't buy any illegal or endangered steelhead. The Native Americans pretty much run the commercial steelhead industry in Washington and are highly regulated by the state. It is not illegal for them to catch and or sell wild fish. The fish are coming from rivers on the Olympic Peninsula, and if you check the link I sent you, you can see that the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife are not concerned with Steelhead populations in this area. Thanks for your concern. Anders @ Pike Place Fish"

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/diversty/soc/soc.htm

my response:

Anders,

Thank you for your response. I realize what you are doing is not illegal and that the Native Americans have tribal rights to these fish. That is why it is necessary for the other end of the supply chain to stop this tragedy. Please note that many Olympic Peninsula steelhead rivers have not been meeting escapement levels over the past decade and are continuing to decline. These rivers are some of only a few left that are not past the point of return for the wild population. I believe that you could continue to sell fin clipped hatchery steelhead under the title of "fresh steelhead" and see no loss in business. While many in the recreational fishing community would like to see the eventual complete elimination of hatcheries and focus on conservation of wild populations, where when truly healthy they could again be harvested in limited numbers, right now this seems a fair compromise. Many in the recreational fishing community love seafood and your market but as long as this continues an increasing number of people will not shop there for any seafood.

Thank you for your consideration, and please do forward this to the owner,

Zack Williams"

in order for this to ever stop every single person on this board needs to say something in a respectful manner... keep up the good work folks

11. casaboba

casaboba Member

Thank you for reiterating the obvious Andrew. Referencing the dates WILL add precision & context to the points listed in the WSC letter should anyone choose to quote them. This said, I doubt that much has changed (sadly) between the 2010 & 2009 winter / spring runs. Selling Wild Steelehead commercially serves only to accelerate their demise. I hope that our collective letters & phone calls against selling Wild Steelehead commercially help to stop this practice at the Pike Place Fish Market. THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE!

12. Derek Young

Derek Young Emerging Rivers Guide Services

Home Page:
    Again, here's where the argument breaks down - "stop what you are doing, so that I can continue to do what I like to do." That logic won't work. Either everyone stops fishing for steelhead, or no-one will.

I don't agree with the harvesting of any wild fish.

13. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    We should be pointing out that WDFW's "lack of concern" is the problem, not a justification for their actions. WDFW's stance on these fish populations is political, not scientifically based.

15. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

There was a similar movement in British Columbia, which manged to curb or eliminate the sale of endangered fish by attacking the market. Was it "Ocean Canada", or something similar? I suggest we contact that group, which may be affiliated with the Vancouver Aquarium for guidance on how they organized their efforts.

I will look into this, but 20 heads are better than one, if you have any knowledge of this group or actions, please chime in.

My letter to "The Fishmonger"
    Greetings:

I am adding my voice to the growing numbers concerned at your lack of environmental ethics. We realize that it is legal to purvey wild steelhead, but the species is in dire peril of becoming extinct shortly. You have the choice to help concerned citizens change the status quo, or to continue it. I purposefully do not say perpetuate the status quo, as continued harvest of wild fish will inevitably lead to their disappearance.

Be advised that a groundswell movement is growing to eliminate the market for wild/endangered species. Your organization has to choose whether to be part of the solution, or to be vilified in the public eye.

I am especially disappointed by your attempt to hide behind the law by stating that it's LEGAL to sell an endangered species. At one time it was LEGAL to own humans and beat your wife in this country, but no right thinking American will approve of these practices on a moral basis, regardless of legislation.

Please help us to change the future for wild steelhead, this will be a superior public relations stance for your company.

Don Freeman
    Conservation Chair
    South Sound Fly Fishers