Wild Steelhead on the menu at Kalaloch Lodge.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by lostriver99, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I know. But I remember when the damn decision was made. There was a very cool bumper sticker then, "Save our fish. Can Judge Boldt." It's the only bumper sticker I have ever put on one of my vehicles. Just sayin'...

Dottiesdad likes this.
  2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

You can't stop the Indians from netting fish. If they can't sell them they will just rot away. I know it's no good to try to stop them from selling wild fish. It is what they do to survive. And it's their way of life.

You can all thank the Courts for giving the Indians what they wanted.
    Beating it to death here stops some but not all.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

If the treaty was signed 200 years ago. Then make them fish the way they did back then. They didn't have Gill Nets back then. They used weirs and spears.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  4. lostriver99

lostriver99 New Member

I added some contact info for the ONP and Kalaloch Lodge on my first thread on the bottom to help make the call, email, or letter easier. Thanks to all of you who decide to make the effort.

5. FlyinFish

FlyinFish Active Member

Also suggest posting on their Facebook page. Lostriver, could post your photo on their page and include your first hand conversation with the chef about it being wild? That would spark the topic. If not, I can post for you if that's okay.

6. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

email sent. Thanks for the heads up.

J

7. FlyinFish

FlyinFish Active Member

8. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Jim, there's nothing worse than a proponent in apathy. If you don't want to help out - feel free to make yourself cozy on the sidelines.

My opinion is that it's a winnable PR campaign. The public, and the northwest in particular, have never been so conservation minded. Simply having Steelhead listed on the Monterrey Bay endangered list would do wonders. We should target big wins like that and most of the "green, sustainable, local, koom by yah" restaurants will fall in line.

But yeah - we might as well just forget it. Way more important things to discuss.... like how cold it is in Montana for instance.

9. lostriver99

lostriver99 New Member

The picture I took is free to use as you wish. I would say the more people who see it the better. Thanks to those of you who have responded to this.

10. FlyinFish

FlyinFish Active Member

Posted on their Facebook page. I'd recommend others comment their as well. You'll notice that quite a few people ask them questions on their FB page, and they do respond, so they will see it and so will others. Please go there and gently and kindly tell them how you feel.

11. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Just posted on their facebook page. Hopefully, they will fear a hit on the pocketbook and change their menu. And to thonk that just last week a local tribal leader was wailing about the loss of steelhead again. A different river to be sure, but the causes remain the same.

12. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Do un-clipped steelhead taste better than clipped steelhead? There is a possibility here that the Kalaloch staff doesn't know the difference between a steelhead and a fence post...and one is legal to harvest and sell.

13. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Jim,

You don't want anyone using weirs.. You can catch every fish that way. In my mind, it is basically on par with Vilna for a run of salmon..

14. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Did you witness them fishing back then or is this speculation ?

15. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

As I have stated before, the non-tribal interests in this situation are holding an incredibly weak hand legally and frankly in the court of public opinion. I do not think that the "stick" approach will be successful. Perhaps we should explore the "carrot" approach. Can non-tribal interests, whether they are fishermen or conservation groups, purchase the rights to "live" fish from a tribe? Essentially, we pay the tribal fishers to NOT kill steelhead which then go to gravel, make lots of babies that will make more steelhead. If a tribe were interested in this deal, how much would they want and how would the money be collected?

Steve

Dan Page, fredaevans and orangeradish like this.