Will this winter's resident coho fisheries be a bust?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

One other thing I forgot to mention. If you enjoy eating fish, those resident hatchery coho are excellent tasting.
    SF

Alexander likes this.
  2. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

Roger,

I caught rezzi coho at two Gig Harbor area beaches on subsequent weeks- 1 & 2 weeks ago.

Only one caught each time (~12 inches), but they were there. At the second beach I saw other coho jumping, but didn't hook up any other than the one.

Andy

3. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I enjoy fishing those resident coho during the summer (July/early August) in the central sound (mostly MA 10).

After watching this site for a number of years I have found that there is little correlation between the winter south sound fishery and my success the following summer. Just illustrates how nomadic and unpredictable this neat and tasty fish are. Suspect that their unpredictable movements are a direct result of the movement and the timing of the that movement of their seasonal food sources. Would not be surprised that many of the coho you are expecting to find at this time of year are further to north and west.

Curt

Roger Stephens and Jeff Dodd like this.
  4. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Appreciate your post which is encouraging! It sounds like there are some resident coho just north of Marine Area 13. Resident coho which I caught last month in Marine Area 13 were also in the 12 inch range.

Roger