Wind Bitch

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Donato, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

I feel your pain. Gonna give it a go tomorrow morning, regardless. I need a fishing fix.

2. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Wind is supposed to be better tomorrow....

Wayne

3. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Man up or stay home.:cool:

4. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

One of the advantages of small mountain lakes...there's always a lee side, and not enough wind run length for most blows. I am often able to sit on the calm side of the windline, and cast out into the chop....and when I get a wind forecast, or see it developing on the way fishing, I will alter plans based on a particular lake's size, orientation to wind direction, and surrounding geography. And...a kayak doesn't present much of a windsail....

5. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

We went to Wenatchee today for a Costco trip. Definitely not as windy up there and the wind in Moses Lake is less than what was forecast.

6. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Fished all day yesterday in a steady 10 to 20 mile an hour wind with a buddy. 1 fish between us, not a good day. It was my first time in my fat cat with this much wind....Laz was in a donut and could hold much easier. Sitting up out of the water has it's disadvantages. Next time I promise to bring an anchor. On the bright side, it was a good workout for my aging legs.

7. zen leecher aka bill w

no wind today in Moses Lake.

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

You know, the stillwater fly anglers in England use the wind. The let the wind blow them across the lake while using subsurface patterns. Of course most of them use boats (for the longest time, they regarded personal floating craft as dangerous) so they'd need to row or motor back across the lake to let the wind blow them back again. I think they called it "wind drifting".

Evidently, it is very effective.

One of my friends tried it at East Lake. Him and a buddy would row out to the middle of the lake and let the wind blow them back to shore. They'd "troll" at the speed the wind was blowing them. He said it worked great for hooking trout during windy conditions.

9. zen leecher aka bill w

We have wind now. I would not want to be out in it.

10. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

FlyRodney and I went to Lenice today. Very windy, whitecaps. Did not fish. Decided to explore. Went to seep lakes, never been there, got map from MarDon. Found a lake and launched because there was very little wind. Ten minutes later the wind blew. It followed us from Lenice. There are no fish in that lake anyway. On a positive note saw no ticks or snakes. They are not stupid enough to be out in the wind. We went home. I am now doing stuff around the house, wishing I was fishing.
    The end.

Wayne

11. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Wind !! It don't stop me !! Unless there are 60mph gusts !!!

Attached Files:

12. dp

dp ~El Pescador

my buddy and were at Lenice on Sunday and ran into Wayne and his friend in the parking lot. While he went to the seep lakes, we went to Rocky Ford. Gorgeous day with light winds until about 3:00 - then the wind and rain hit us. Too bad we did not connect on fish. We both had fish on, but nothing to the net.
    Man, I must have dodged 100 mexican wind socks (tumbleweeds) between Ephrata and I-90 on the way home!
    I got some fishing time in though.

13. Donato

Donato Member

We fished the Winthrop area on the weekend and guess what? The Wind Bitch followed us there for all three days. Very strong winds on Sat at B. Twin. It sucked.

14. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Guys, it doesn't have to be this way. Pay attention to the Weather Channel forecast for the area you are going to. A week ago it blew all weekend but the weather report for the Basin was for little wind starting Monday. I left early Mon morning and drove 175 miles to a reservation lake where I enjoyed a day of catching brookies under clear skies and windless condition. Same thing the following 2 days at Coffeepot.

The long range report called for three days of high winds this past weekend and today and they hit it right on the button. Today we are having frightening winds here at the Rockin'K with some damage done to the outbuildings. Get that weather stuff on your computer and save yourselves a long drive which ends huddled in a truck somewhere looking at whitecaps. Had you seen the wind map of the western states on Friday you would have noticed that high winds were going to prevail from the Cascades all the way past Wyoming and out onto the prairie. In other words-a good weekend to tie flies or catch up on honey-do's both of which I did.

I'll lick my wounds today and Tuesday but Wed and beyond look real good with temps ramping up and the wind petering out. I'll be walking in to a lake with my Fat Cat on Wed morning and expect a bluebird day with little or no wind. Hope I'm not disappointed.

Ive

15. Donato

Donato Member

Ya, this week looks like a 4 day trip to the OKEE;)