Wind in the gorge made fishing tough

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Shawn West, May 23, 2011.

1. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Fished Little Ashes lake both Saturday and Sunday. I knew wind was going to be an issue, so I arrived at the lake on Saturday around 7AM hoping to beat the wind. I managed to fish for about three hours before throwing in the towel. I spent most of my time fishing next to hwy 14. I caught one 13" smallmouth in all that time. That was just after turning the toon towards the pick-up.

I managed to lose my hook hone Saturday. I think it fell out at the launch. It is amazing how much I missed that tool. I am constantly sharpening my hooks. I ended up having to exchange flies every time my hook got dull. There were a few other toons out there Saturday. If any of you found an Orvis hook hone, I would really like to get it back. I have had that thing for over twenty years.

I went back to the scene of the crime Sunday hoping beyond all hope that my hook hone would be laying on the ground. Unfortunately, it was nowhere to be seen. I fished for a couple of hours. Again I spent most of my time fishing along hwy 14. I managed to land five smallies. The largest being a fat 18" female. She towed my toon around before I managed to land her. I caught all five on an olive/brown #10 Simiseal leech. She made the effort to go back on Sunday worth it.

For those of you interested, the water temperature was fifty-five degrees. Just about every person fishing the lake in boats or toons were fishing the North side of the lake. I never made it over there, but I am guessing maybe the water is warmer/shallower in that part of the lake. There was one boat that was fishing there Sunday. They made a run towards hwy 14 and fished for about fifteen minutes before motoring back to where they came from. If you make it out, best of luck to you. I hope to get back out in a couple of weeks.