NFR Wine- Wa or CA

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Charles Sullivan, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    Did you go to school at Berkeley??

Thunderbird is a FINE California wine from the Modesto appellation area.

Hey PM me on your fishing trip EAST.

Alex MacDonald and fredaevans like this.
  2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

When I was younger I used to drink a lot of that. When I was in the Service and stationed at Fort Eustis, we used to drink Three Bears Wine. But that was when I was about 18 or 19. Or maybe Pomerille(sp) wine , Loganberry.

3. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

t-bird and Mountain Dew, the original cowboy cooler. loved by college kids everywhere!

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Thunderbird has got nothing on the Mad Dog....MD 20/20.

5. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

If you come to my town, here are few bits of (hopefully useful) information...

Some in-town events during the time of your stay (open Mic, etc.) http://www.wallawalla.org/calendar-of-events/#/?i=8

Drinking Hotels: Best Western and La Quinta (both on 2nd) have reasonable reputations and are close to downtown. The Vinyard Inn (formerly a Pony soldier) has had a recent remodel, but in the last three years or so was also renting a room to a methlab. Probably fine, but full disclosure is appropriate. Also right near down. There is also a Travelodge that is close to downtown.

The Whitman Hotel is nice, no idea what the service is like, and it's probably more expensive.

Eats...well I think we have some pretty good options.

- My favorite place to eat is Tiki Teriyaki on rose street. It may look like fast food, but it is not. Closed Sundays and Mondays.

- Next favorite place would be Taqueria Yungapeti on 9th street. Like a really good taco truck, but in a building. Fish burrito is my favorite, with the hot Verde sauce.

- Downtown...Maple Counter (almost all breakfast themed...ginormous portions), Green Spoon (expensive, smaller portions but excellent) and The Olive (deli/sandwich shop very cool building inside). I would be remiss if I did not mention Wing and a Prayer BBQ. It's the shit, and (full disclosure) owned by a good friend of mine.

Drinks...oddly enough I don't drink much wine, or downtown at all. But I know nobody complains that they cannot find some place to get it on. Charles Smith has a place on South Spokane Street that is a remodeled garage. I think it is a tasting room that also hosts events. http://www.charlessmithwines.com/visit-us.php

I am a fan of three rivers (out on the old highway west of town) and my favorite wines came from Yellow Hawk cellars, which sadly went out of business a few years ago.

If you get stuck on a back country road while you are here, look me up and give me a call, I'll rescue you :)

Oh yeah...wine tours...here is a local listing...http://www.wallawalla.org/wineries/wine-tours-transportation.html

I know the Dream Rides folks and I think they have a good rep, I've certainly not heard anything bad but I have never had a wine tour in my life, so take my input for what it is...kind of useless.

rory likes this.
  6. Tom Palmer

Tom Palmer Active Member

Charles- I go yearly to WW for wine tastings and if you've never been and like wine it's a no-brainer... GO. Given you mention it is your anniversary I'm going to assume you want a nice place to take the wife too!

Easy choice for lodging is Marcus Whitman hotel. Nice digs, your wife will love it and you can end your day in town walking so don't need to worry about drinking/driving as there are lots of tasting rooms in town now. (Abeja lodging mentioned is great but requires a drive.) If you want to save money for more wine La Quinta and Best Western as mentioned are solid.

For eating the top two choices that come to mind are Saffron and Whitehouse Crawford. Both are worthy of anniversary type dinners. There are certainly other places as well, and for breakfast Bacon&Eggs on Main St. is great. For late night drinks and truffle fries, go to Public House 124.

People there are very friendly and I'd be surprised if you go and don't start talking about when you'll return...

Kent Lufkin, Grayone and David Dalan like this.
  7. dick-walla2

dick-walla2 New Member

I agree with Dave's info on motels near Main Street. The Marcus Whitman is more expensive, but its a historic hotel that has been renovated and it's a different experience than staying at the Best Western. A recently renovated historic building with four condo type units on Main Street is
    Whiteside Building Condos - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/reviews/page:2/p449731vbi . Again, more expensive, but right on Main Street and they are beautiful digs.

The link Dave gave for wine tours is a good one and the owners of Dream Ride are nice people and have a good reputation.

If you stay at the Best Western or La Quinta on Second Avenue, the Mexican restaurant across the street, El Sombrero, is good. Other excellent downtown restaurants are Saffron Mediterranean Kitchen (www.saffronmediterraneankitchen.com), brasserie four (www.brasseriefour.com), and T. Maccarone's (www.tmaccarones.com). The Marcus Whitman Hotel also has a formal dining room, The Marc, that serves a good meal (dinner only) in a nice setting.

I am biased about Walla Walla wines, but I like wine and really think Walla Walla wineries are the best the NW has to offer. Not every one of the 120+ wineries is great, and there are a couple I don't enjoy, but the overall quality of the wine here is better than other places in the NW. A lot of the fruit comes from the Columbia Basin, not just the WW Valley, so it isn't just the grapes. I think you could say the WW wine makers are more consistent about putting out a good product than other NW wine regions. Instead of finding a couple of notable wines in a weekend of tasting, you should find ten worth taking home. In my opinion.

I buy my Walla Walla wine on sale at Plaza Safeway in Walla Walla and get a 10% discount with a six bottle purchase. Case purchases at the winery will save you 10 - 30%.

Kent Lufkin and Grayone like this.
  8. Matt Roelofs

Matt Roelofs Member

If you want to save some $$ on fuel and use it for outstanding food, there is always the Woodinville option. My wife and I celebrated our 20th anniversary last summer with a stay at the Willows Lodge and a fantastic (and easily the most expensive) dinner at the Herbfarm. We didn't make it out to the local wineries - but there seemed to be a number of the biggies nearby. I'm sure there is some kind of car service available.

9. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Charles-if you can into the Abeja Inn-very cool and a great winery as well. Across the street from Walla Walla Vintners. http://www.abeja.net/inn. I was actually impressed with some of the wines in the Oliver BC area and Hester Creek Winery has an awesome inn attached to it. Enjoy! Rick

10. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

If you stay at Abeja, you will have to drive drunk. I may be wrong , but I believe you have to be a wine list member to lodge there. Normally takes about two years to get on that list.
    Food ...Dinners....Whitehouse-Crawford, Saffron's (say hello to Island, she is great) and Southfork. If you are sober try Jim German in Waitsburg (a tapas bar with a great mixologist owner)....Breakfast lots of good choices.
    Wine is everywhere downtown, at the airport (start early in the day), south of town (start early in the day) and west of town.
    Lodging... The Marcus Whitman, Best Western......The LQ is getting, lets say well used. The vineyard, forget it.
    Nightlife.... is Sapolil's downtown .

You will have a good time. If you are going on a major event weekend, you had better get lodging now, if you can. (check online for event weekends WallaWallawine.com)

Lot's-o-fun to be had!

11. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Napa beats any wine making area in the Northwest, IMO for the total experience. I'm not saying the wine there is superior (I prefer WA wines), but Napa is just amazing place and totally worth the cost. It's especially nice if you can tack on a couple days in San Francisco and then drive up to the Napa valley.

If you're in SE WA, try out Patit Creek Restaurant in Dayton. Amazing food!

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  12. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I haven't done Walla Walla yet but just did a wine tour in Woodinville. Fairly impressed. There are some high end wineries (J&M & Adams Bench) and tons of plenty good wineries. If I recall, 106 wineries of which 70 actually are making wine in Woodinville. The others are tasting rooms for wineries in EWa. Virtually all grapes are EWa, a few maybe from OR.

13. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    The problem with wives is that they want the real thing.

For example, my wife still wants to visit the Swiss Alps. I pointed out to her that she saw the Matterhorn at DisneyLand so what was the point going to Europe. You can imagine how that discussion went!!

Full disclosure...I have been to DisneyLand, but never to Woodinville. So I really don't know if they did a better job with vineyards than Disney did with the Matterhorn!!

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  14. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    It seems that WA has better wines than BC. CA is not an actual option it's a typo in the tittle of the thread that I can't figure out how to fix.

My goal is to leave my children and pretend that I am 26 again with my wife. She'll likely act 32 or so. The BC option seemsa whole lot more aesthetically pleasing than WW. The WW wines are better. The BC option is closer.

I appreciate the input. It's been helpful.

Go Sox,
    cds

15. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Woodinville is a good option too! There are a couple of nice places to stay and some really good wineries. I don't know anything about BC wineries, but have probably been to about half of the Woodinville ones.. for me though, they're about 15 minutes away from where I live!

Kent Lufkin likes this.