Winter backpacking. What do you bring?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Tony the Trout, Dec 1, 2010.

1. MountainTrout

MountainTrout Bacon-wrapped trout?

I'm a big fan of packing all my clothes in ziplock bags - everything stays nice and dry, especially when I'm digging around in my pack with wet gloves. Also - I bring plenty of extra batteries for my headlamp.

One trick I always do right before I hop in my sleeping bag when winter camping is to boil a pot of water, pour it into a Nalgene bottle, seal it tight, and then toss it in the foot of my sleeping bag to keep my feet warm while I fall asleep. Don't try this with your pee bottle, no matter how good of an idea it seems at the time!

2. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I just have to chime in to let everyone know not to do this with a rock from a fire ring. Some kid did this when I was a boy scout and it burn his feet horribly. He feel asleep and when he woke it was too late to avoid injury.

starting a fire has always been a problem for me in the snow. I started taking a back-up of a roadside flare and a bike inner tube. The bike tube is for emergencies only, but it will burn long and hot enough to start just about anything. Carrying a camp hatchet is heavy, but it's a practically a must for splitting wood when everything is seemingly wet.

Most of the time I just give up on fire in the snow. I take a fresh canister of fuel and use the jet boil to warm up water for warmth.

3. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

WHISPELIGHT + FULL REPAIR KIT
    TELEMARK SKIS + SLED
    SHOVEL + AVVY GEAR
    WARM BAG + SINGLE WALL SHELTER DIG IN AND COVER THE TOP OF THE SHELTER
    FULL LENGTH THERAMREST
    SYNTHETIC INSULATING LAYERS
    DRY CLOTHING
    BACON
    PEE BOTTLE
    BOOTIES + OVER BOOTS
    GLOVES
    MAP
    BACON (IT STAYS FROZEN!)

4. Dustin Bise

5. Dustin Bise

QUIGLOO LIVING

[​IMG]

6. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I can't tell you the amount of good-natured shit I took from a couple of friends on a trip this year to northern Idaho about using a piss bottle at night! There's nothing quite as comforting as waking up in the middle of a cold night when your alarm bladder goes off, knowing you're gonna have to crawl out of your nice warm sleeping bag to drain the snake and then realize that relief is about an arm's length away! No more rummaging around for your boots or camp shoes and freezing your ass off or standing in the rain. A wide-mouth Gatorade piss bottle is the height of camping luxury.

K

7. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

You guys have no idea how lucky you are! At least the moonlight on the glistening snow is beautiful at 3AM...

8. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

One of the great joys of being a guy: all the world is our urinal!

K