winter fish

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by golfman65, Mar 5, 2012.

1. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

I didn't realise TD fished for winters....but I'll stick with what I said about Syd or Decs flies. No challenging techniques ( unless he's referring to the fly tying) equipment(?) or skipping steps, just learning to read water and how and where to fish. I dream about 38* water this time of year... There is lots of life coming out of the gravel. Fry have been out of the gravel for a couple of months up here because of the mild winter and warmer than average water temps, making for some very well fed sea run bulltards (dry line fry pattern on the surface, first or last light). The weather, well, take it as it comes but if you want a challenge, explain to the physio why you have a pointy end on the crutch...

2. T Dave

T Dave Member

To clear up your confusion, I made no reference to you outside of your recomendation to fish classics, which is purely a personal thing that will do nothing to improve his confidence chasing winter fish.....and, I've spent plenty of time out steelheading in water less than 40*.

3. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

Dave , you were talking about xgman gaining confidence chasing winter runs. There's a bit of a difference between how summer run and winter run fish respond to flies and its not just water temperature related. It would have more to do with the amount of time each race spends in fresh water both prior and after saltwater migration...
    ---------------------

If the only fly a guy uses is a back 4'' marabou shank then thats what he will catch steelhead on, and thats what he will have confidence in. If all he uses is a lady caroline, then thats what he will catch steelhead on and thats what he will have confidence in. Point is, until someone learns to read water and learns how to fish various water types effectively, he will always be second guessing himself.

Back to xgman, I know he takes the time to tie bugs and enjoys the time he spends in his mancave. He'd enjoy figuring out how to get proportion down tying some of the classic bugs that were developed in his neck of the woods specifically for winter run fish. He had the casting and basic tying skills already a few years ago but had no confidence in the method because he thought it was more important to cast to the other side of the river. Furthermore, as you develop tying skills it extends the enjoyment of the whole getting ready to go fishing deal. When that first grab finally comes on one of those flies, that grin will stay there, and in his own words, he won't feel dirty. No, instead he'll of joined an ever shrinking fraternity of guys that went before him, that figured out you don't need to go with big heavy junk to catch steelhead. That there is some kind of special fun getting winters on classics that used to be the staple for a reason...

Backwoods Angler likes this.
  4. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

winter 019 (Medium).jpg my classics SUCK!!! I give up, the wings never turn out and they swim like tards in the water...I go with more modern versions of the winter hope etc.

Interesting about the fry.....

Attached Files:

Eric Tarcha likes this.
  5. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

those look just fine Paul. I would fish any of them with the utmost confidence...

i really like the "modern" winter's hope fly on the shank...sweet!~

6. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Aint nothing wrong with those ties in my eyes Paul. Give em to me, I'll fish them! :)

7. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

Dudels, I'd fish those any time...might have to tune a couple up so they swim upright, but for the most part you have it going on...no one ever said tying those things was easy, neither is finding decent material. But that makes it all that much more rewarding.

Consider that steelhead will take a simple blob of yarn of pretty much any colour, they will eat any kind of fly, so long as they can see it...and I'm not so sure if they even need to actually see it (based on using waked bugs in less than 2' vis and watching summer runs come up chomping)

8. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

I find wild winter fish plenty aggressive, even in colder water. You might have to cover some water, but find a player & he will tear you a new one.

:D

c/22