Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Winter Lake 2

Swap 
13K views 154 replies 16 participants last post by  Irafly 
#1 ·
It is time for another Winter Lake Swap. The last swap produced some incredible flies. I myself have some new patterns that have produced exceptionally well.

10 or 12 tiers depending on the interest. Tie two of the same pattern or two patterns. Due by Dec 20th. I might be able to get them out by Christmas then.

1. Irafly I'll be getting jiggy with it! DONE
2. McNasty DONE
3. Jim Wallace Stocker Clocker DONE
4. Zen Leecher DONE
5. Troutpocket DONE
6. Gary Knowles 6 Pack Soft Hackle DONE
7. Patrick Gould DONE
8. Travis Bille DONE
9. Bakerite Floating Dragon Nymph DONE
10. Ron McNeal Chironomid DONE
11. Maryfish DONE
12. Jeff Dodd DONE

#2 ·
tie two of the same? will it be like 12 people and each person picks just one other person to swap a couple flies with? or do you mean two versions of the one pattern you pick for each person? im totally down as i have been getting really into stillwater and got some bomb leech patterns. but this would be my first swap so sorry if im noobin on the rules right now.

#3 ·
I was afraid this might raise its head again. :eek: Just so happens that I'm going to be learning to tie some sparser patterns. The Six Pack that Gary tied up and fished was the bomb. A skinny and sparse little thing it was, though.
If we've got to tie 2 flies for each participant, then I'll need a solid week of horrible weather to get these done, if I choose to accept the mission. I don't think I whipped out 24 flies total during all of this year so far.
Does tying two of same pattern allow for intentional slight variation between the two?

Trouble maker!

#4 ·
If we have 12 tiers then you would tie 22 of the exact same pattern (you would not need to tie for yourself). If there were slight variations, no problem as the swapmeister I would simply make sure to pick out the best patterns for myself.:)

Jim, you would be surprised how many patterns you can whip out after a couple of evenings. You can and should except this mission.

McNasty, ask away. Ignorance is not the issue in society, not accepting ignorance and or doing nothing about it is.

#7 ·
I'd like to join, just don't expect anything world class to come out of my vise. I need to play around with it a little more but I scored a bunch of gorgeous rose gray alpaca from my mom....

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

#11 ·
So what type of flies are we talking of here?Trout,salmon,steel?

Scott
I have heard that there are some lakes where you can catch salmon and steel, but for the most part I think we will focus on trout. Not much winter bass that I'm aware of here either, besides, I'd love it if Mark our Southern Neighbor would join in and if he found out that bass were involved, that would key him out for sure.

#16 ·
I'll tie some flies!

It is time for another Winter Lake Swap. The last swap produced some incredible flies. I myself have some new patterns that have produced exceptionally well.

10 or 12 tiers depending on the interest. Tie two of the same pattern or two patterns. Due by Dec 20th. I might be able to get them out by Christmas then.

1. Irafly I'll be getting jiggy with it!
2. McNasty
3. Jim Wallace
4. Zen Leecher
5. Troutpocket
6. Gary Knowles 6 Pack?
7. Hooked 1?

#24 ·
I'm going to have to hit the vice and limber up my fingers. This is for a winter lake pattern, or at least a lake pattern that works during the winter months, right?
Patterns that work would be preferable to those patterns that don't. Now if they also happen to produce well in Winter Months all the better.

#22 ·
Gary, I was thinking of tying a color variation of that, using olive-dyed badger for the hackle, but not changing the rest of the materials. I ran out of the natural rich brown furnace that came off a friend's chicken, but the olive badger looks pretty good. I also have some regular brown saddle, if the olive badger looks too light. So mine will probably be the "stocker clocker."
Unless I get a wild hair during the limbering up process and change my mind.

There's still plenty of time to inventory tying materials and get what I'm out of, though.

#26 ·
Gary, Haven't done anything with the alpaca yet. Thanks again for that.
I was digging thru my materials and found a nice cape of olive-dyed grizzly that looks like it will work better than the olive badger, since its darker. Main thing is that it has to blend with the Chocolate Mint New Age chenille on the body, and the dark brown marabou tail. The rich brown saddle that I have almost looks the most like the furnace that I ran out of, and might be the best substitute. I'll have to tie up some with each color of hackle and go test 'em out. The one that looks best in the lake water to both me and the trout wins.
I might have to go get more of that furnace hackle. A chicken may have to be killed for this!

Have you played with the alpaca? I forgot my bag at my mom's, so I am awaiting its arrival via mail......also your box is nearly complete. Hoping it hits the mail by Thursday

#25 ·
i really dont have any patterns in mind that i have more than one variation i tie, was thinkin about a big rubber legged white egg suckin bunny leech i use for big 5-15 lb. brooders on a local lake in the winter and an egg sucking black bear leech i came up with thats become one of the best leech patterns ive ever used.

#31 ·
I still haven't figured out which pattern to tie. One I'm considering is a #20-22 thread midge which is a good Rocky Ford winter-early spring fly. Just not sure if I want to tie that many "little shits".
LAKE SWAP, Not Spring Creek Swap. Ohhh, maybe I'll do a Rocky Ford Swap Next my scud is killer, but do I want to share it... hmmm?

#29 ·
Huh? What!!!? done already? I was just about to go out and rummage through some bags of chicken feathers that I have in my garage, and finish inventorying my hook supply.:)
No tying today. Its sunny. Back outside! Tying prototypes this evening, and Fishing 'em tomorrow. Maybe tying again by weekend.
No chickens are on the block for this, so no birds will die for this swap. Appears that I'm out of sync with my friend's butchering schedule.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.