Winter Pass Lake Thread

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Chromer, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

For starters
    IMG_2432.JPG

crequa and wanative like this.
  2. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

I did the belly boat on New years day about ten years ago. The South bay was froze over. The rest of the club being in boats, decided to go down to Cranberry. I put in at the road side and slow trolled back and forth right along the ice. Must have done twenty fish that day. Didn't get cold at all. I had my neoprene waders on. The old heavy duty ones. The guys down at Cranberry didn't get swat. I swear every fish in the lake was lined up right under that ice edge. All I had to do was put a little motion on the fly and whack.

wanative and Tim Lockhart like this.
  3. Chromer

Chromer Defeat terrorism

Pass is frozen solid. Ranger told me he cant people off the ice. someone skated all the way across. He asked me for my Discover Pass, which I had. He said its a $100 fine for no pass.

4. Tim Lockhart

Area wide likely there will be incidents between now and the thaw. I really hope I'm wrong but...

5. redlodge

redlodge Member

why did you not tell him you were a native from another country and he had no right to ask you for a discover pass. Indians rule

6. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Ice fishing Pass? Hmmmmm. I could try it.

7. Tim Lockhart

I have a 1" bit you can borrow. Hole should fit an indicator.

troutpocket likes this.
  8. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

You've seen my indicators, you should know better.

Buzzy and triploidjunkie like this.
  9. Peter Kovah

Peter Kovah Active Member

Considering I live in Anacortes, I've decided to start giving Pass Lake the attention it deserves. Providing it thaws out a bit, I'm thinking of fishing a couple times this week (I'll be the guy in the ridiculously oversized green blow up raft if anyone wants to say hi).

Wondering if I'm better off fishing streamers or Chironomids? I've never fished Chironomids before but just picked up a few from the shop. I'm wondering - does one just simply use a floating line and an indicator? Does one need a really long leader to get deep enough? I don't have any fish finders or anything like that, so I never really know the depth.

I've never really had much luck at Pass lake, but that's probably because I don't know a damn thing about lake fishing. Every time I go, I spend all my time frantically rowing my giant raft against the wind/current so as to not get stuck on the other side of the lake (perhaps a makeshift anchor might help?). I've only fished with streamers before. And based on what I see other guys doing, I usually let a bunch of line out deep, and just sorta row around and basically troll the fly from my raft. I don't really find this much fun, however. So, as boring as it sounds, I kinda like the idea of staying in one placing and slowly retrieving an indicator.

Any wisdom is appreciated!

- Pete

triploidjunkie likes this.
  10. wanative

wanative Active Member

Clamp your forceps or a weight to the end of your leader, lower it to bottom to determine depth in the spot you're anchored.
    Suspend the chironomid 6" to 2' above bottom with indicator fixed to your leader 6" to 2' below the spot on your line that is at the water surface when your weight/ forcep touched bottom. Set the hook when the bobber goes down or wiggles, or moves sideways. Be sure to look at birds, other fishermen, the sky, etc. so when you look back and your bobber's under then set the hook.
    You can fish two flies in this fashion tied about 12 to 18 inches apart on the end of your leader.
    Tie one fly to the end of your tippet then tie 12 to 18 inches more tippet to the bend of the fly hook that you already tied on and tie on the second fly.

Bajema, Irafly, Matt B and 2 others like this.
  11. SERE Nate

SERE Nate Active Member

Have fun casting!

wanative likes this.
  12. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Be sure to look at birds, other fishermen, the sky, etc. so when you look back and your bobber's under then set the hook.
    [/QUOTE]

Best advise right there wanative! Also good action when reaching for your beer or getting rid of one! Bobber down! :eek:

wanative likes this.
  13. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Pay attention to the eagle, it likes to take the fish you are bringing to the net.

Steve Kokita and wanative like this.
  14. wanative

wanative Active Member

That's for sure. That eagle scared the crap out me one day last spring.
    I don't like looking a hungry eagle with talons extended in the eye from 5 feet away!:eek:

15. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I agree with most of this, but instead of tying off the bend of the hook, I would recommend tying that extra tippet into the eye of the top fly and let it hang off. This will keep your top hook free and increase your hook up ratio with that fly. Also if you decide to put a micro leech as your top fly instead of a chironomid, your bottom fly if weighted will pull down on the eye of the top fly while the tippet attached to your fly line is pulling up. This takes the fly from sitting vertically, to sitting horizontally in the water column, which is the way almost all the fish food sits in a lake.