Winter Salmon/Steelhead fly?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by ceviche, Nov 21, 2002.

1. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Big question here. Considering the conditions of the rivers these days--and probably into the winter or the next rain--I'm wondering what flies you all use when the rivers are high and/or dirty. They say bright is best at these times, but I'm wondering about specific colors, tinseling, and patterns in general. Also add whether it's a fish deep, dry or just-under fly. Give it up ladies and gentlemen! :THUMBSUP

2. Luv2Spey

Luv2Spey Member

Big (1/0 isn't too big), full-dressed flies fished deep (sinking tip or weighted fly) off of a 4 to 6 ft very stiff leader. Did I say very stiff - You're gonna need stiff, short leaders to unroll these babies properly. Leeches (esp articulated), spun marabou, etc. and other patterns that have a lot of movement. The Skagit Minnow (an articulated pattern) in purple and/or black is a good prototype.

Cheers,

Michael

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    One GO TO fly for this kid

Big bubble gum pink bunny leech. Favorite fly, and an all around producer.

4. sinktip

sinktip Guest

Luv2Spey,

Your comment on stiff leader got me thinking. For winter fish I tend to prefer a limper leader as I think it gives the fly more action. Granted, if you fish a loop knot as I do, you will have fly action either way but just feel the more the better. For the summer leaders I build, I certainly incorporate stiffer material for everything but the tippet. For 4'-6' sinktip setups though, I have never had any trouble getting them to turn over.

Sinktip

5. SeaClarki

SeaClarki New Member

One GO TO fly for this kid

I tie basically the same fly, its my pink worm fly :COOK

6. Luv2Spey

Luv2Spey Member

This is the first I've heard of limpness/stiffness being associated with a fly's action in the water. But I am certainly no expert in these things so I don't disagree. In any case, if you can turn over a bunny leech tied on a 1/0 weighted hook while casting a limp leader, you're my hero.

I certainly agree 100% with your strategy of using a loop knot for better action. :THUMBSUP

Cheers,

Michael