Winter steel...All I have is a 6 wt

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Alexander, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Porter

Porter Active Member

Did you try the WFF loaner program.....they have one or two tfo 8 weights. Contact Chris Scoones or see it on forums.

John Hicks likes this.
  2. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Haha, you guys are all friggin's awesome, being good with a hoodlum from Bremerton like myself borrow your gear!!!! I think I'll be fine with my 6wt. I didn't stop to think how I'd be fishing and with my 6wt the best way to hit it would be to throw a nymph rig. It's how I mostly fished when I lived in CO, heck, apart from dries it's how most people there fly fish. I'll just throw an open loop indicator rig and I'll be alright I guess.

As far as rod weight to target fish ratio, I believe I'll be okay with the general Hatchery fish, like I said before, I hit the hatch fish on the Bogachiel a few years back and wasn't too impressed. A young lady down stream from me did hook a fat wild pig on a float rig though, that fish was big!

I generally don't fish big tippet, 8# is the thickest I fish, even for the salt, and I do just fine. If the fish is a brute it will break me off as has happened before.

The reason I posed the question is because I believe I got caught up in all the you "need a huge rod hype". But thanks to some of the seemingly more level headed types in here I was comforted that my 6wt would be sufficient given standard healthy reasoning was applied when hooking fish.

I've caught some real pigs fishing my 5wt and super light tippet with some seriously small hooks on some CO rivers where nothing else will do because the fish are "smart". Big fish do eat small flies... ;) Anyhow, my curiosity and inquisitiveness regarding this subject has been satisfied. Thanks for all of your input. :)

3. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

When I first moved to WA from Cali, I was only fishing 5-6 wts for steelhead. That was the gear I used to throw the comets and smaller streamers used around Humboldt. It wasn't until I seriously started fishing in the dirtier water that I really needed a bigger weight line, capable of throwing a half a chicken..

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

If your comfortable with your skills and gear then you never should have been caught up in any hype. Many level heads come in many sizes...just not in 6 weight ;) You'll be fine and have fun fishing !

5. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

I'm an insecure little nancy...

Porter likes this.
  6. Porter

Porter Active Member

OK...:p

7. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

8. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

I might hit them with these unweighted flies on some weighted line... reversed hackle love.

Attached Files:

Porter likes this.
  9. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

behind an egg sack of course, lol.

10. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I went fishing for Kings with a 6 wt once many years ago. A 6 wt. is far, far, far to small for 12 - 30 lb fish. But, a six wt for smaller steelhead should be fine. Give us report if you hook anything.

11. fish-on

fish-on Waters haunt me....

May sound crazy to some folks here but to this day, I fish 6 weights for steelies on rivers that even hold big chums or kings. I have different rod weights but I just like to use my lighter gear. When a big fish takes my fly, I just do exactly what Curt wrote above.. I'm pretty sure I get them in quite fast- waay below the 1lb/1 min ratio and maybe even closer to 1/2min per lb ratio.

For me, applying max pressure does not always mean breaking the fish's will. Sometimes putting max pressure makes the fish fight even harder. However, if you couple it with side pressure and frequent rod angle changes, it confuses them and keep them off balance. After a short while they seem to follow your lead and come in faster..

In situations where there is just no controlling the fish, I do as Salmo G mentioned, I point my rod straight to the fish and let the line take all the pressure until the fish gives in or I break off. There are exceptions to the rule, and those fish will leave you with your mouth wide open and your hands shaking.

12. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

To be fair, the best fisherman I've ever fished with used a 6wt for steelhead and he landed fish much faster than I did with my 8 wt.

13. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I use a 411 for summer fish and a 611 for winter nymphing. 7wt spey for winter swinging.

You'll be fine with the 6wt this time of year, just follow smalma's advice about breaking the will of the fish - that's gold advice right there.

only hold the rod by the cork if you catch a fish. There's a lot of temptation to grab the rod to get more leverage, but you'll quickly break the rod by changing the fulcrum to a weak point.

Here's a cool video from Red's showing you what not to do and what happens when you do it. Skip to 5:40.

golfman44 and Porter like this.
  14. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Hey there, I'm Joe Retard, welcome to Reds Fly Shop.

15. sleestak240

sleestak240 Active Member

Home Page:
    The 11 footers are switch rods...you're looking at more backbone than a typical 6 weight single-hander. I fish a 7 weight two hander for winter steelhead quite frequently and have no concerns with it, but I'm surprised at the number of people who are comfortable operating on the light side of winter steelhead tackle regarding single-handers. Different strokes for different folks I guess...