Winter steelhead help!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by ksherk, Nov 29, 2009.

1. jsuyes

jsuyes FFF-CCI

I will add one other thing to this list. Learn to Row. I own a drift boat and I am always looking for fishing partners that can row. I'm always looking for people to take fishing who can row a drift boat down a river. I'm willing to teach people to row too. I hate always being the guy who has to do the rowing.

2. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

If you don't tie flies, get craft store beads and a couple of bottles of cheap nail polish and paint your own beads. Get a bottle in pink, orange and red. That, some BB shot and a couple of packages of #4 hooks and you'll be set for a while. Nymphing will be more easily accomplished than casting heavy flies on that rod. Also, if you don't get a heavier rod, you should use heavy leaders (12-15lbs) and push your little 5/6 wt to the brink. Play the fish from lower in the rod by keeping the tip closer to the water. You will be more likley to loose a fish this way, but less likley to kill one as well. If you choose to take that light of a rod out--be willing to sacrifice it to avoid killing a fish.

That said, I would sugest a heavier set up. And don't overlook a pfluger medalist for a new reel--they're cheap and more or less bomb proof. Don't be be intimidated by the complexity of these responses, people really like to give thier two cents when it comes to steelhead.

Jump into the steelhead game with both feet when you have the chance--your life will never be the same, and you won't regret it--I promise.

3. Leopardbow

Leopardbow Member

One word - flask. Takes the bite off the chase. Enjoy the river, the time off, the scenery and the solitude. The econcomy blows, so take in the moments you have on the river.

Sorry to hear about your layoff.

4. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

iagree

5. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

I have a Lamiglas 9' 7/8 wt with a cracked fighting butt that is otherwise fully functional. I'll sell it you for the cost of the freight - say $20. If you want it, PM me your mailing address. It's not pretty but it works.

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Way to step up East Fork! That there's a perfect unemployed steelheader's stick. That's a better rod than many of us, employed or not, used to harvest many a steelhead over the years.

Sg

7. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

i began steelheading last january after i was laid off. caught my first steelhead on a 6 day campout on the OP involving cheap booze, pasta, and a borrowed rod. with a fly i tied on a $30 vice. being laid off afforded me the time to do my research, tie flies, and find my way to the river day in and day out. most everyone is stuck to a work schedule. while they spend all week on here, checking gauges and weather reports hoping the rivers will be in shape for saturday, you my friend should be on the river.

get a map. cover water. sleep in your car. drink hamms. and learn the way.

man i hope i get laid off.

8. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Home Page:
    Come on little bro a true steelheader QUITS his job, when they begin to run!!!

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    i like to think that i put myself in a position to get laid off in august... just before all the runs got goin :thumb:

10. Brazda

Home Page:
    That a boy get a good head start, be sure not to miss any :clown:

11. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

+1 - at least you can find crack when you need your next hit. :clown:

12. Brazda

Home Page:
    yea (crack),,,, it comes with a thingamabob bubble and junk drifting nice and clean..:rofl: