NFR Woeful Mariners

IveofIone

You would know a lot more about their hitting than I would-I only watched 3 M's games all season. I seldom turned them on but if Dave Sims was announcing I immediately changed channels. The 3 games I watched the other guy was announcing and he isn't that bad. I did follow the scores the next day though and it seemed like they would win a bunch in a row then lose even more-a win/loss sine wave that continued all year. In the end they didn't even finish at .500 which I felt sure they could do in April. But they are the Mariners after all. They are good at putting butts in seats and making a handsome living for their owners but when it comes to playing baseball....not so much

eplanajr

While other teams talk about their seasons or post seasons... the mariners get busy chatting about badly needed grass...

Maybe they are smoking too much of it

nb_ken

When I moved to Seattle I signed in with the local baseball team. What a miserable franchise.

But they're my miserable franchise.

They're talking about the grass because they don't want to think about the team for a little while.

I wonder what kind of fertilizer they use at Safeco?

nb_ken

if Dave Sims was announcing I immediately changed channels.
Ive, I'm disappointed. I've read your stuff about baseball. You're a fan. I'm not going to defend Dave Simms. He's an acquired taste. But he's not as bad as baseball is good. You can't let something as trivial as an announcer get in the way of a baseball game.

IveofIone

Yeah, I'm a fan but not a fan of mediocrity. The Mariners are less than mediocre-they need to average about 81 wins a year to get there. In the past 15 years they are averaging about 75 wins a year. They just don't improve, every year it is the same old song and dance about how this year is going to be different and it isn't.

I moved to the Pacific Northwest in 1979 when the M's were still young. I listened to the games for awhile assuming they would improve over the years and enjoying Niehaus with his excellent calls of the game. They didn't improve. With one 4 year spurt of excellence and a 116 win season it looked like things would turn around but they didn't. I also assumed that I would become a Mariner fan by default once I moved to the PNW but the Mariner vaccination didn't 'take'. Bogus management and trading away great players just made me crazy, it seemed like a 14 year old with a good baseball card collection could make better deals. Hiring Sims was the nail in the coffin for me and I finally just turned them off.

I have followed the Dodgers since they were in Brooklyn and over the years they have had some good years and some outstanding players. But I am not a rabid fan of any team like Charlie, I just like to see good baseball, great pitching and outstanding defensive plays. Of course I like to see the Yankees and the Red Sox lose but then most fans do....

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Ive, I'm disappointed. I've read your stuff about baseball. You're a fan. I'm not going to defend Dave Simms. He's an acquired taste. But he's not as bad as baseball is good. You can't let something as trivial as an announcer get in the way of a baseball game.
I must say, Simms? He's an acquired taste like rat poison : ) Rinse, gargle, rinse. He and Rizzzzz and even worse than the team. I saw them in their first year in 1977..and it has not been enjoyable. Dodger fan since 1970 when was 5.

Buzzy

D4466C31-BD0C-4935-9EFD-54DE3D2F43D6.jpeg

Was doing a little shopping for sashimi at Sapore here in Nagoya and saw these two bottles of whiskey. My first thought was of the former Mariner right fielder. But a different Ichiro.....

Finally-it's over for the Yankees and with Boston already eliminated the baseball universe is back in equilibrium once again! With an all western US World Series there will be none of those coast-to-coast flights that exhaust players-just two real good teams with an equal opportunity to win without the influence of the east coast baseball bias.

As a Dodger fan since about '46 I naturally favor them but this year it makes little difference who wins, both teams deserve it due to the excellent brand of baseball they have played all season.

As for the Yankees and the Red Sox-Die You Dogs! Here on the left coast we have had their games shoved down our throats all year by ESPN, Fox, MLB Network, the Turner Network, etc. They appear on TV far more often than an other two teams and the fuckers are 3,000 miles away-who gives a crap? Out west we have the Cardinals, Royals, Twins, Brewers, two Texas teams, the Diamondbacks, Padres,Rockies, Angels, Dodgers, Giants, Mariners and the Oakland A's. All pretty much west of the Mississippi but still we get a steady diet of east coast teams. No fair representation there so it is particularly sweet when the east coast rabble is eliminated, it's like we are finally getting a measure of revenge. Let the games begin.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Finally-it's over for the Yankees and with Boston already eliminated the baseball universe is back in equilibrium once again! With an all western US World Series there will be none of those coast-to-coast flights that exhaust players-just two real good teams with an equal opportunity to win without the influence of the east coast baseball bias.

As a Dodger fan since about '46 I naturally favor them but this year it makes little difference who wins, both teams deserve it due to the excellent brand of baseball they have played all season.

As for the Yankees and the Red Sox-Die You Dogs! Here on the left coast we have had their games shoved down our throats all year by ESPN, Fox, MLB Network, the Turner Network, etc. They appear on TV far more often than an other two teams and the fuckers are 3,000 miles away-who gives a crap? Out west we have the Cardinals, Royals, Twins, Brewers, two Texas teams, the Diamondbacks, Padres,Rockies, Angels, Dodgers, Giants, Mariners and the Oakland A's. All pretty much west of the Mississippi but still we get a steady diet of east coast teams. No fair representation there so it is particularly sweet when the east coast rabble is eliminated, it's like we are finally getting a measure of revenge. Let the games begin.
Former LA Dodgers star, Ron Cey's, dad's "Cey's Union" gas station 76 sign is still up near the joint military base in Lakewood/Tacoma ! Saw it a couple of weeks ago. Saw Cey and Lasorda and other future Dodgers in Spokane in 1971 for the Spokane Indians, big Dodgers fan since way back as well !

Was great to see Tommy at 90 there to see them win and go on to the World Series.

Houston is a good team, so it is a win-win, really. Love watching a 5'6"/165 pound guy in Altuve be a great player in the league!

Sidenote: The greatest high jumper in WA State history is Rick Noji and he was 5'8" and has a PR of 7'7" in international competition (7'4 1/2" High School)!

I am 6' so I have no excuses.... ;)

Last edited: