NFR Woeful Mariners

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, May 25, 2017.

1. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Dodgers and Astros should be a fun World Series. I can't even watch baseball on TV until the ALCS and NLCS games begin. MLB improves so much when the best teams are going all out to win versus the long grind of the regular season. I remember cheering for the Dodgers last time they won the Series in the late 80's, but this year I'm leaning towards the Astros.

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Now, the problem becomes how to watch the series without having to listen to a-roid. Simms is preferable to the lying cheater.

3. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I want Houston to win it all.

F the Yankees.

4. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I like this Dodger team. Kershaw turned down the biggest pitching contract in baseball history because he didn't feel that just one guy should make all that money. Two or three other guys who could have left after last season for bigger contracts stayed because they wanted to finish the job they started last year. This is the type of team play I would like to see in all sports where the idea of winning for the whole comes before the all-I-can-get mentality of the greedy individuals.

The results of the lack of selfishness certainly showed up in this season's performance. This year's Dodgers exemplified the team concept and spirit. Too many teams are paying obscene amounts of money to aging superstars for past performance (Can you say Felix Hernandez?) while not having the budget left to obtain a quality supporting cast. Somehow the idea of leaving a winning team that was paying you 7 mil a year to go to a losing team that would pay you 9 mil never made any sense to me. Going 100-62 would make spending that 7 mil far sweeter than the bitterness of going 62-100 and trying to buy happiness with the extra cash.

Buzzy, Old Man and Nooksack Mac like this.
  5. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

That extra cash can buy a fuck load of happiness, security, and freedom in one's post-baseball retirement years. The gratitude of aging fans don't buy jack-shit.

Peyton00 and KerryS like this.
  6. Gyrfalcon2015

Gyrfalcon2015 Wild Trout forever

Current Contract. Clayton Kershaw signed a 7 year / $215,000,000 contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers, including a $18,000,000 signing bonus, $215,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $30,714,286.

Not sure, but guessing he'll somehow make it ok....

He actually bottom loaded his contract, he makes $38 million plus this year with signing bonus.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Krusty likes this.
  7. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Some might call it selfish, but I call it enlightened self-interest.

Plus, he's got a hellacious publicist working on convincing the rubes of his selflessness!

Gyrfalcon2015 likes this.
  8. eplanajr

eplanajr Active Member

This is where I was on Monday... [​IMG]

Gyrfalcon2015 likes this.
  9. nb_ken

nb_ken Active Member

I don't want to say the Dodgers 'lucked' into this team. That's the wrong word. But this team isn't the culmination of some grand plan or savvy GM work or Kershaw salary concessions.

Their 1st baseman, center fielder, catcher and ace setup guy weren't on the team coming out of spring training. And other than Bellinger, weren't even on anyone's radar.

Chris Taylor was another in a long line of no-bat, suspect-defense utility infielders when they traded him to the Dodgers last year. He spent almost all of 2016 in Tacoma and Albuquerque. This year he starts the season in AAA and ends it as the NL center fielder in the World Series and perhaps the best leadoff hitter in the league.

Brandon Morrow was a Mariners first-round draft choice some 10 years ago and has bounced around with a half dozen organizations since then. But this year ... If the Dodgers didn't have the best closer in the league, Morrow would probably be the best closer in the league. Instead, they use him as their 8th inning guy. He's pitched in pretty much every game in the post season and has not given up a run.

Even Yasiel Puig. In 2013 he was rookie of the year got a lot of votes for MVP. Last year he spent a much of the season in AAA and the Dodgers had pretty much given up on him. But this year, he found his way back and is a for-real weapon in the middle of the lineup.

Dodgers are good. They got Kershaw, Seager, Turner and Jansen. Not hard to build a good team around that and they might have made it this far with Adrian Gonzales and Joc Pederson and Yasmani Grandal playing bigger roles. But I think those guys who showed up outta nowhere put them over the top.

KerryS likes this.
  10. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Every team needs a little serendipity to get to the World Series and the Dodgers got plenty this year. They have always been the lovable 'Bums from Brooklyn but were given a huge black eye by Frank Mccourt and his wife during their divorce debacle. That episode led to bankruptcy of the team and it was eventually taken over by the league. It was the real low point for a once great organization under the O'Malley's. It's nice to have them back as a force in the NL West.

And speaking of serendipity who would have believed in April that Adrian Gonzales would start the World Series vacationing in Europe with his family? Or that his replacement would be Rookie of the Year and hit 39 home runs? Or that a utility center fielder thrown away by Seattle would become an overnight sensation? And Puig coming back from the dead to energize the oft neglected 8 spot? Turner turning from a banjo hitting utility player into the clutch hitting terror of the league? They may not win it all but they are a helluva lot more interesting than they have been in years and Houston will have to be exceptionally good to beat them. The only demerit on this year's series is that it is on Fox again which means that the terminally boring Joe Buck is the announcer.

Salmo_g likes this.
  11. eplanajr

eplanajr Active Member

Well said.

12. napawino (Roger Craft)

napawino (Roger Craft) Kicked

Snohomish County, sometimes Missoula County
    Joe Buck wishes he could be 1/100th as good as his dad was.

13. jesse clark

jesse clark Active Member

Great game last night. The pregame ceremonial pitch was classic. Too bad Vin couldn't have stayed and announced the game.
    The game got better and better the more I hit mute when Joe was filling every moment with his drivel.
    The best line of the night was when John Shmoltz commented when in a real stressful spot for one of the Dodgers relievers. *your heart is pounding so hard you can feel it in your fingerips*
    I love baseball!

eplanajr likes this.
  14. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Playoff ball makes up for the god awful boring regular season.

15. creekx

creekx spent spinner

The whole Chris Taylor thing annoys me. I am somewhat used to seeing ex-Mariners excelling at their new homes, but this is different because he sucked as an M. In 86 games for the M's he hit ZERO homers. Now he hits 21 this season?