NFR Woeful Mariners

Screw any National league team. We are in the American League, where we aren't subjected to the hideous bats of pitchers. As well as being the league of the Mariners. And screw all California teams in general.

The whole Chris Taylor thing annoys me. I am somewhat used to seeing ex-Mariners excelling at their new homes, but this is different because he sucked as an M. In 86 games for the M's he hit ZERO homers. Now he hits 21 this season?
Getting out of Seattle has been a new lease on life for many players over the years. Imagine being in jail for a murder you didn't commit then suddenly be released to a land of palm trees and starlets. Playing baseball would seem pretty easy after that!

nb_ken

The whole Chris Taylor thing annoys me. I am somewhat used to seeing ex-Mariners excelling at their new homes, but this is different because he sucked as an M. In 86 games for the M's he hit ZERO homers. Now he hits 21 this season?
I can't get too worked up about the Chris Taylor trade. It was a nobody-for-nobody deal that happens all the time as 30 major league organizations try to keep 150+ minor league teams staffed. Sometimes somebody pops out from nowhere.

Baseball is, by far, the hardest sport to evaluate talent. It helps if the player is a great athlete, but that's only part of it. And probably not even the biggest part.

Baseball skills are built with endless repetition. You can't see. You can't think. All that is too slow. You have to recognize and react. A reptilian response built on thousands of at bats. And at every level of baseball that becomes more important and much harder. A select few seem born with that major-league-level ability. Some find it later in life. Some find it and lose it and never find it again. Most never find it at all.

I remember listening to a GM talking about the draft. Basically, he said it's a total crapshoot. It's hard enough to evaluate a trade or free agent when the players involved have years of MLB experience. And at the draft, he's trying to predict the future of an 18-year-old kid who hasn't stopped growing yet.

You can't blame the M's for tinkering around the edges with players like Chris Taylor. You can't ever see that coming.

I'd agree, for the most part, that you can't predict talent. But the M's have a demonstrable track record of fostering mediocrity, if not outright bed-sh*tting, with players that go on to shine once they leave the organization.
Heck, Justin Smoak was a replacement level turd with warning track power for the M's. He hit 38 bombs this year for Toronto. The list is long (and growing), but distinguished.

KerryS

Ignored Member
The Mariners suffer from piss ass poor management from the gm down. It really gets bad in the dugout. Until they get some pro level management they will continue to suck.

I disagree. If not for the starting pitching being decimated by injuries, the M's would have had probably another 20 -30 wins. They have quite a bit of talent right now. Much more than they have has in quite a while.

creekx

spent spinner
Last night’s game had to be one of the best World Series games I have watched.
A great game to watch, but is it good baseball? Ridiculous how that WS ball is flying out of the park. Would-be routine pop flies are now monster homers. Reminds me of playing with tennis balls on the playground as a kid - everything was a mammoth dinger.