NFR Woeful Mariners

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, May 25, 2017.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Still a long way to playoffs. Best record in the league since all star break and with only one ace pitcher.

Gamel for mvp or btp, best throwback player. Cat plays the game the way it should be played.

john gates likes this.
  2. napawino

napawino Banned or Parked

Snohomish County, sometimes Missoula County
    The Mariners have a pretty good lineup. Nothing like the old "murderers row" from the 90's but the best they've had since then.

john gates likes this.
  3. Gyrfalcon2015

Gyrfalcon2015 Wild Trout forever

Think about this. It would be impossible for the Mariners to finish one game under .500

But seems, somehow they will : )

Edit: now that I think of it, an unmade-up rain game could give them a chance at 80-81

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  4. nb_ken

nb_ken Active Member

I'm a big baseball fan. For me, football season starts when the Mariners season ends. Sometimes that's in June, sometimes not until October.

This year, the Mariners season ended on the exact same day the Seahawks season started. Damned convenient. :mad:

How 'bout them Hawks?

5. Gyrfalcon2015

Gyrfalcon2015 Wild Trout forever

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

5 loses in a row at home no less. They talk about the wild cards. Well they can forget about that and try to keep out of the basement.

I was looking at their roster the other day. They have used 31 different pitchers yet this year. Still 6 weeks left. How many more will they use??

john gates likes this.
  7. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Jim, I started this thread back in May after a previous 5 game losing streak. The sine wave continues....

As a Dodger fan since 1948 I am having one of the better seasons ever but not bragging about it. Why? Because I still haven't forgotten the "Shot Heard Round the World" off of Bobby Thompson's bat in Oct of 1951. The Dodgers led by 13 1/2 games on August 11 and then faded at the end and were caught by the Giants on the last day of the season. A 3 game playoff followed and Thompson hit his dramatic home run in the bottom of the 9th while trailing in the 3rd game. Described as one of the two most dramatic events in sports in the past 100 years, it broke my heart as a 13 year old. I haven't forgotten, shit happens, it can happen again. And it ain't over till it's over. How well I know!

Krusty and KerryS like this.
  8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I told a friend last weekend that the Angels were the team to look out for. Apparently I should have said something to Servais.

9. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

As a Giants fan, that is one of my favorite moments in the Giants-Dodgers rivalry. The Bums are having a pretty amazing season and Giants are sucking big time. Enjoy while you can. :)

10. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Every time the Seattle Times writes a fawning article over the pitching staff the slump seems to continue...

11. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

"One of the two most dramatic events in sports in the past 100 years"? "Shot Heard Round the World"?

I guess you hadda be there.

There's no way a moribund and semi-comatose sport like baseball would ever come close to qualifying.

Of course you're speaking of the 1851 - 1951 era...so perhaps you're correct. Chronologically...you'd know better than most (except for OMJ). :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

What pitching staff? There were two or three top shelf pitchers available at the trade deadline and who did Dipoto get? Erasmo Ramirez. Seriously? Ramirez wasn't worth a damn when they traded him away in '15. What the hell makes Dipoto think he has gotten any better? The Mariners have lost all but one starting pitcher this season. I would think if they were serious about making a run at a wild card spot they would have went after Sonny Grey or Yu Darvish. Nope, Dipoto got Ramirez.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  13. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Yeah, you had to be there. In 1951 baseball was the premier American sports obsession and the Miracle of Coogan's Bluff was literally the "shot heard round the world". The game was on in schools, barber shops, cafes, gas stations, in fox holes in Korea, remote military bases around the world and in almost every home that had a radio. Cars pulled to the side of the road so that the scratchy and static ridden broadcast could better be heard. My understanding is that it was the first baseball game in history that was nationally televised.

Baseball was so big back then that captured enemies in WWII were asked baseball questions during interrogation. A failure to name a certain player or event was almost a guarantee that the captive was a foreign agent.

Now fast forward to 2017 and saying that baseball is moribund and semi comatose is laughable. It begs the question: "Just who is comatose here?"

The most recent figures for sports attendance worldwide has MLB baseball ahead of the second place finisher-Nippon Professional Baseball-73 million to 24 million. The NBA is the third most watched with 21 million and is just about tied with the NHL also at 21 million. The NFL places a distant fifth at 17 million. Minor league baseball accounts for another 22 million in addition to MLB. The top six MLB stadiums alone have greater attendance than all of the NFL combined.

Of course I get it that the NFL plays 150 games less a year than baseball but they don't have enough good quarterbacks to even finish the 16-20 games they play now. By seasons end you are watching 2nd and 3rd string guys trying to fill in and hoping for a miracle. Both play for about 7 months total with all of the playoffs. During those 7 months pro baseball puts about 56 million more butts in seats than pro football and about 49 million more than the second most watched sport which is also baseball. Those are hardly symptoms of a moribund and comatose sport.

I guess if I had to watch the Mariners full time and listen to Dave Sims I would be a little disillusioned with baseball too but with so many other good games on TV that isn't necessary.

Pay attention Krusty-baseball is that rare coming together of muscle, skill, high speed ballet, strategy, execution and cunning that has kept millions fascinated for almost 150 years. The game itself is as good if not better than ever. The announcing is at an all time low so I mute it and the umpires still can't distinguish a ball from a strike.....

lee c, KerryS, Krusty and 1 other person like this.
  14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I was in High School at that time. Heard the game on the radio in Gym Class. I never paid much attention to baseball back in those days.

15. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

I'm thinkin' you like baseball.

Old406Kid and wadin' boot like this.