NFR Wolverines re-populating WA State

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Lugan, Feb 1, 2013.

1. TomB

TomB Active Member

You forgot some important details, Salmo: they are not even the native wolverines, they are mutant canadian wolverines that are a different subspecies (whether USFWS admits it or not), and are 2 times as large as the native wolverines and much more aggressive and kill for pleasure

jwg, Krusty, Jim Wallace and 3 others like this.
  2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I think it's cool to see wild animals out and about. When you live in a city you don't get to see things like this.. When in Washington and you would see a deer you were lucky. Here in Montana they run in herds. I've seen Foxes and their kits, Moose, Elk, no bears here yet. Antelope, Badgers. No cats of any kind. I spend enough time driving the back roads that sooner or later I will see what I haven't seen yet. I left off Wolves, I have seen them.

Also Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout, Cutthroat Trout, Grayling. Rocky Mountain Whitefish, And last but not least Suckers. I have had the privilege of catching all of them. They have all been a blast.

3. TB

TB Member

A friend of mine had a lady squat right in front of him while he was hunting, all camoed out. He was polite, and did not reveal he was there till he met up with her down the trail a while later. I....well... I would have probly done something different.

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I was fishing way up the little Naches. I came around the corner and there was a lady dirt biker facing away from the creek taking a pee. She couldn't hear me because of the noise of the creek and I just walked back around the corner and gave her enough time to finish.

5. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

I know someone who caught 18 in a season trapping hahah

I also saw two going at it in a bush.

6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Unless they start playing the Rose Bowl in Seattle, this is just BS. Wolverines in WA state...poppycock.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  7. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Just another reason to carry your homemade rod tube with you at all times.

8. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

About 1983 I was on a solo hike in the Pasayten Wilderness. It was a 50 mile loop trip up past Hidden Lakes, Quartz Lake, Whistler Basin, Ashnola Pass area. On the way out, I spotted two or three wolverines. It was awesome. I was also lucky enough to come upon a huge porcupine. It was one of the most memorable hikes I ever did.

9. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    What the...?

10. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

I thought that might be what I smelled one day up on the upper Icicle. They really stink! Between wolverines and the wolf pack over in the Teanaway, that should knock the hell out of the dope growers!

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Could of been a Badger.

12. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

In the late 1990s I saw one while steelhead fishing on the lower Sauk in late March. In about a 10 day period two other folks reported seeing one (same animal?) in the same general area.

Just another example of why the Skagit/Sauk is such a neat place.

The year I saw the one on the Sauk before a young male was hit and killed along Hwy 9 near Acme (Whatcom Co). Got the chance to examine the animal up close and personal.

curt

13. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Hell...I never worry about reintroduced animal predators...or those that appear to be making a recovery without the aid of black helicopters or mutant genetics.

I do, however, worry about human predators...whose rapacious behavior seems to further degenerate on a daily basis.

14. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Doubt wolverines were ever extinct in Washington. I had a good long look at one walking along a talus slope right behind my house a couple years ago. And, this one looked to me to be closer to 50 lbs. than 30lbs. Maybe the fur jaded my estimation but I wouldn't back down on it much. This one was in southcentral Washington...and I do know what I watched for 5 or more minutes.

15. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Nope...that was just Old Man. Back then, in his Boeing days, he believed that trout were like Viet Cong...they could smell an excessively clean flyfisherman laying in ambush.