Wolves on the Westside?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by scottr, Aug 19, 2012.

1. scottmel

scottmel Member

I came across two wolves while backpacking in the Pioneers in Central Idaho (just north of Ketchum/Sun Valley). They were a lot bigger than I thought they would be and I wasn't intimidated by their presense - I was more along the lines of, "Wow! I just saw two wolves!"

2. steelydan

steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

3. scottr

scottr Active Member

4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

It won't be long before a wolf attacts a jogger at greenlake,

5. ribka

ribka Active Member

Be even cooler if one had a valid wolf tag in your pocket.

TallFlyGuy and Jim Ficklin like this.
  6. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Yeah but between the Middle Fork and Greenlake you got like Itchy dog's house, Scoones' place, Derek Young's Ted Kazinsky Survivalist Shack/Manifesto Hut and The Lufkins.

7. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Not sure I understand the obsession with killing wolves.

8. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

censored

9. scottr

scottr Active Member

Wolves are a controversial species because their reintroduction to the west was done for altruistic reasons with one set of stake holders (environmentalists) without considering the impacts on other stake holders (e.g. Ranchers & hunters).

Like any wild species, wolves need to be managed to mitigate conflicts with humans. This has come after the fact with wolf reintroduction so there are a lot of people with strong opinions on the subject.

10. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Of course.

I totally understand that they were reintroduced and are now having some negative impacts on ranchers. And I can understand work being done to either thin out or move those packs that are causing the most trouble for ranchers.

There are two things that are odd to me--the attitude that the only good wolf is a dead wolf (which maybe isn't as prevalent as it seems, I don't know). I just have seen so many nasty signs/shirts/adverts that amaze me with their crassness.

Secondly, I think it is really funny when hunters whine about how wolves are making hunting more difficult for them, either by killing off game or by making game more wary/spooky. It seems to me that, essentially, these types of hunters are complaining that the "natural order of things" (and I put that in quotes because I know it's a loaded statement) makes it to difficult for them to hunt. They want hunting to be easier for them, so they want to get rid of the wolves.

Imagine the analogies in fly fishing, and you can see how ridiculous it is.

Jason

11. martyg

martyg Active Member

Jason - Come on. You can't be serious. If they'd pull all of the damn rocks out of the rivers and straighten them up they'd be a lot easier to row.

Its also the reason why I only bird hunt at poultry farms.

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

A wolf on the MF Snoq is a long shot, but not improbable under the circumstances mentioned - the wildfire on the east side. At the rate wolves are becoming re-established in WA, it won't be long before a bonafide pack populates the west side. Cool. Wild lands need more apex predators.

Sg

13. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    That's supposed to be secret....

Ed Call and wadin' boot like this.
  14. WonkyWapiti

WonkyWapiti Active Member

Maple Valley, WA aka county seat of Cedar County
    One of the reasons that hunters "whine" is the fact that hunters over the last several decades have spent countless hours and amounts of money for habitat restoration and conservation for the elk herds across the western states. Through the efforts of groups such as the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, elk herds and habitat have flourished only to be decimated by the reintroduction of wolves. The elk are a staple for the wolves. To sum it up, the hunters are upset because even with all their conservation work they had no say and to a major extent still do not with respects to wolf management.

I'm not trying to get into an argument here, just showing a different viewpoint from one who has personally spent alot of time out in the woods helping collar elk and collecting data on herds for management studies. This is a controversial topic topic for all sides involved and a healthy and friendly debate of the facts is always good.

Tyler Sadowski likes this.
  15. plecoptera419

plecoptera419 Active Member

They are here on the Westside. I take no side in this. See Wolf Sightings on Hunt WA. The link has been posted. There are what i would consider very legit pictures of a pack on the Nooksack. Hybrids or not. Pics are the Nooksack, and I see wolves.