Wood Drift Boat Restoration

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by nomlasder, Nov 17, 2016.

1. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Yes, there are many soft spots in the bottom and the lower 1/2" +/- of each frame is soft. Fortunately the chine shows almost zero signs of deterioration. The middle section under the rowers feet had an added layer of glass resin to stiffen it up. It would not have been long and you could have stepped through.

2. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Home Page:
    Wow, you really move right along Ross. Nice work, very interesting what you've found so far. I'm sure glad it's in your hands the old gal deserves to get back in shape and on the water again.
    Can hardly wait to see it finished.

LB

3. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Oh, there will be weeks go by, that nothing seems to happening.

KerryS likes this.
  4. Bjorn

Bjorn Active Member

Sounds like water was allowed to accumulate inside. Mine gets wiped out after using and is stored inside. Wood does need more work and care than FG or aluminum.
    A wooden boat is like a good woman, a bit of extra effort and the rewards are worth it!;)

rotato and Freestone like this.
  5. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

First off, the damage is actally minimal. I think this boat had many more years of life, doing nothing but dry storage after use.
    Most of the damage was from moisture trapped under layers of finish. (Fiberglass resin). The stuff is not viscous enough to soak into the wood for a long lasting bond.
    The other area was from water trapped between the UHMW shoe and the bottom, especially at the screws which were installed dry. (Not using any sealant in the screw hole.)
    Another problem accelerating deterioration, was the small weep holes in the frames. They were practically worthless. Nails from the bottom went through the middle of a couple effectively blocking the hole.
    Don't get me wrong, thus is an extremely well built boat. I just hope my efforts double the lifespan and enjoyment. In our throw away society, I think it's important show how rewarding it can be to fix things.

Bjorn likes this.
  6. Philonius

Philonius Active Member

Cool project! Is the rebuild going to include much Diamondplate? :cool:

7. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

If I planned a restomod, yes. My first three boats had aluminum protection on the transom for anchor protection.
    But this one will have bright orange paint as discovered.

8. Philonius

Philonius Active Member

I'm glad you aren't going for maximum bling, though the anchor protection does sound like a good idea.

9. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

I can't even to begin to match Sue's elequince. Her tales of obsurd winter fishing are truly captivating.

But here's my progress on the drift boat. If any of you have followed other projects, you'll understand my love of sanding. The sanding has begun. Unless something strange happens, like magic, I will be sanding for a couple weeks.
    The challenge will be keeping as much of the original patina, and get through the damaged areas.

Attached Files:

10. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Home Page:
    Ross,
    My son came by tonight and I showed him all your pictures/progress so far. He was very happy to see it.
    As usual

LB

11. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

It's been a little whIle since any progress, but got the frame up on its side to saw out the broken frame. I tried sawing while flat upside down, but not being in a good working position was brutal.
    Next will be taking out the remaining frame bolts for sanding the interior.

Attached Files:

River Pig and Freestone like this.
  12. wetline dave

wetline dave Active Member

I stopped by Ross's shop the other day to check things out. Of course I gave my 2 bits worth of useless opinion about the bolts and how to get them out. Those bolts removal are going to be a real pain in the butt to remove. They are carriage bolts with minimal nut length and are corroded into their holes. To top it off there is minimal working area to work with.

The boat is looking good and in good hands.

Dave

Bjorn likes this.
  13. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Those bolts removal are going to be a real pain in the butt to remove.

I ordered a c clamp with hex head so I can used the air ratchet. It will go easier than the first batch.

14. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Cleaned up the chine and frames with block plane. Had to hone it a couple of times due to the hardened glue. A little bit more clean up and it will be time to fill all the screw holes.

Attached Files:

papafsh, Freestone and Bjorn like this.
  15. Bjorn

Bjorn Active Member

Beautiful I am envious! Watcha' filling the holes with?