Wooly Bugger color question

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Wally Bear, Feb 15, 2011.

1. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

2. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Wally, it's OK to use the end of the marabou if you want, (I do) but be sure and cut a inch or so out of the center of the stem, it will have much better movement. There really is no limit to color combinations, remember the fish are looking up and straight ahead most of the time, so a dark fly will have much better contrast against the sky then a light colored fly and the sky is almost always lighter than the bottom. A lighter fly will have more contrast against the bottom and sides of the lake most of the time, Just something to keep in mind (it works for me, at least most of the time).

3. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

You can never tell what will work with trout as far as colors go sometimes they will fire up on the craziest things, over at cady lake every year there is a womens fly fishing club that shows up every year and I can't even begin to describe some of the wild looking buggers I've pulled out of huge trout (28" and larger) that have broken them off after one of these weekends, forget match the hatch I would look at one of these flies and think not on your life it just goes to show you never can tell.
    tony

4. Spey Dog

Spey Dog New Member

My best colors has been black body with white hackle and rubber legs imparted in them. I switched to tubes a few years ago also as hook up ratio increased due to the shorter hook shank when playing in.

5. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

YEP!

6. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Tie on two, see which one works best

7. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Home Page:
    Remember the woolly bugger is often taken as a crayfish, so I've always done well with olive over orange body with olive over orange marabou for the tail. Wrap the body with orange chenille, leave a second olive bit of chenille at the tie in site then pull forward over the body for the two-toned effect. Palmer olive hackle over that.....Deadly for browns and bass.

Brown raffia is also a good thing for the pull over tone, looks like a carapace shell.

8. Chef

Chef New Member

Brad: You got a pic of the two toned?

9. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I've been tying alot of articulated woolly buggers of late. Same exact fly, but the marabou tail is on a stinger hook that imparts a swimming motion to the fly when retrieved. Only takes about a minute longer than the original woolly bugger.

10. tkww

tkww Member

I like that idea. I always worry that in stillwater the 2nd (tail) section will fall/hinge down because the front section is being held up by the leader. I'm thinking here of the pause or the drifting--not so much an issue on a strip or under tension. Anyway, do you ever notice this or have any issues with it?

11. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Home Page:
    Sorry about the record late reply. This is a standard pattern in my lake box, accounting for several large bass. Slightly smaller in orange/brown its in the river/stream trout box.

View attachment 42345

Its alot faster to tie than my other crayfish pattern;)
    View attachment 42346

Both patterns work so well I don't know why more anglers don't fish crayfish patterns

12. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I use a wooley bugger with a black & silver mylar tail and a white body with black hackle in size 8 to imitate a shiner minnow on a lake near omak with great success

13. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

sounds awesome what color thread and size hook?

14. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

lot of truth to that,
    because look how everyone one here is spitting out different combos and colors and the all seam to work.

15. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Home Page:
    Whatever color/combination you have confidence in will work. The first bulltrout & steelhead I ever caught on a fly was on an olive woolybugger,within 20 minutes of each other, fishing from the exact same spot. I was highly partial to olive for a long time after that day. LOL!
    Best of luck with whatever you tie.

LB