World's biggest SRC

This past week the Hood Canal was chalk full of gill nets. We literally had to zig zag around them all week. At the ramp one of the buyers asked me what my clients are fishing for all the time with the fly rod. Which sparked up a pretty interesting/disturbing conversation.

He said they regularly get cutthroat in their nets fishing for coho and chum salmon... 2-7lbs!! He said they can not sell them obviously, so they take them home as a bi-catch free meal. I obviously was disturbed, but my curiosity sparked a further conversation, and he said they get them almost every set in their beach netting, and sometimes they will get 10-20 at a time.

Now, this past week, we had to fish the strange spots to find anything over 12", and we found very few fish that were not covered in net marks if they were above 12".
Jesus Christ

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtskibum16

Per Squaxin Tribal fishing regulations: "Beach seines: must release all cutthroat trout captured unharmed in all fisheries..."
The problem (IMO) is the gill nets because they kill/injure the fish before you have a choice to release or not. There's a section on "Release of Incidentally Caught Fish" in the Gill Net section of the commercial fisheries regulations for Puget Sound....what a joke.

Last edited:
The gill nets were anchored up the beach over the past week... These were gill nets not beach seines. I have watched the treaty beach seiners net one of my favorite beaches in the past and toss back a ton of cutthroat. Most swam away without too much hesitation. As with anything not all of them were able to survive the encounter.

seattlee

The problem (IMO) is the gill nets because they kill/injure the fish before you have a choice to release or not. There's a section on "Release of Incidentally Caught Fish" in the Gill Net section of the commercial fisheries regulations for Puget Sound....what a joke.
For actively fished gill nets (boats towing a gillnet behind it) where the net is checked every couple of hours, fisherman will be able to release some gillnet caught fish without mortality. How many? I don't know, maybe 25% would survive. So the rule isn't a total joke.

For gill net strung across the river or beach, not so much - all the incidentally caught fish will likely die because the nets aren't checked often enough.

mtskibum16

For actively fished gill nets (boats towing a gillnet behind it) where the net is checked every couple of hours, fisherman will be able to release some gillnet caught fish without mortality. How many? I don't know, maybe 25% would survive. So the rule isn't a total joke.

For gill net strung across the river or beach, not so much - all the incidentally caught fish will likely die because the nets aren't checked often enough.
These nets are all stationary anchored to the beach. I would be surprised if 25% of fish would survive after being released from even 2 hours in a gill net. Just a hunch. The story Justin shared paints the picture of reality....10-20 dead SRC per net set. That's a lot of dead SRC over weeks of heavy netting.

seattlee

These nets are all stationary anchored to the beach. I would be surprised if 25% of fish would survive after being released from even 2 hours in a gill net. Just a hunch. The story Justin shared paints the picture of reality....10-20 dead SRC per net set. That's a lot of dead SRC over weeks of heavy netting.
Agreed that those stationary gill nets are virtually certain death and agreed that salmon/trout won't survive 2 hours in a gill net...probably more like 30 minutes and even then, gotta hope their gills are not permanently damaged and fish is not fatally exhaused from fighting the net.

XP

I've seen some large cutts with gill plate damage, could this be from the nets? I'll dig up a picture.

Exhibit A
IMG_6549.JPG

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
Let's see, you get a ticket for a "rolling stop"...brake light out? damn near end up on an episode of "COPS"....go fishing? get your license checked once every 20 years..or 30 in my case.. ONCE!

Nobody is watching out on fishing regulations. Look at those once every 2-3 year "poaching busts". Gee, they buddy up with these goons, watch them until they kill 100 animals for 3 years, haul them in..sort of, and it gets posted in the paper like they are all over the criminals?? Bullshit. Arrest them the first time they poach and end it. They get nothing but a tap on the wrist, not even a slap.

Does anyone remember 30-40 years ago, when you could go to the coast and see international fishing fleets off the coast taking fish? Correct me if I am wrong, wasn't the buffer only a few miles out, to where it is now 200-300 to international waters?

Until they start enforcing some rules , this is a done deal. Disgracefeul Fisheries Dept and the like.
The Tribes have their own rules enforced only by tribe fish cop. One rule I ran into 5-6 years ago was they were supposed to keep their nets 1000 feet away from creek and river mouths. Don’t know if that is true today and whether those rules are the same for each tribe. You must call their fisheries cop and ask. This was on the Hood Canal and Skok Tribe I think.

Smalma

I see that Puget Sound chum sizes have been updated. The Hood Canal pre-season chum forecast was just under 1/5 million and it has been updated to 950,000. South Sound chum also increased. Not good news for those concern about by-catch. Good news for those who want to chase "salty chums".

Curt