World's biggest SRC

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by SaltyTippet, Oct 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SaltyCutt

SaltyCutt Beach Bum

Jesus Christ

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Stonefish likes this.
  2. scepter1

scepter1 Member

Per Squaxin Tribal fishing regulations: "Beach seines: must release all cutthroat trout captured unharmed in all fisheries..."

3. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

The problem (IMO) is the gill nets because they kill/injure the fish before you have a choice to release or not. There's a section on "Release of Incidentally Caught Fish" in the Gill Net section of the commercial fisheries regulations for Puget Sound....what a joke.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Justin Waters likes this.
  4. Justin Waters

Justin Waters Active Member

Home Page:
    The gill nets were anchored up the beach over the past week... These were gill nets not beach seines. I have watched the treaty beach seiners net one of my favorite beaches in the past and toss back a ton of cutthroat. Most swam away without too much hesitation. As with anything not all of them were able to survive the encounter.

5. seattlee

seattlee Active Member

For actively fished gill nets (boats towing a gillnet behind it) where the net is checked every couple of hours, fisherman will be able to release some gillnet caught fish without mortality. How many? I don't know, maybe 25% would survive. So the rule isn't a total joke.

For gill net strung across the river or beach, not so much - all the incidentally caught fish will likely die because the nets aren't checked often enough.

6. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

These nets are all stationary anchored to the beach. I would be surprised if 25% of fish would survive after being released from even 2 hours in a gill net. Just a hunch. The story Justin shared paints the picture of reality....10-20 dead SRC per net set. That's a lot of dead SRC over weeks of heavy netting.

seattlee likes this.
  7. seattlee

seattlee Active Member

Agreed that those stationary gill nets are virtually certain death and agreed that salmon/trout won't survive 2 hours in a gill net...probably more like 30 minutes and even then, gotta hope their gills are not permanently damaged and fish is not fatally exhaused from fighting the net.

8. XP

XP Active Member

I've seen some large cutts with gill plate damage, could this be from the nets? I'll dig up a picture.

Exhibit A
    IMG_6549.JPG

9. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Active Member

Quite possibly could be - but I've also seen it in places where there are no nets. I always thought it was some sort of genetic abnormality... Nice cutt!

NW_flyfisher likes this.
  10. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

The Tribes have their own rules enforced only by tribe fish cop. One rule I ran into 5-6 years ago was they were supposed to keep their nets 1000 feet away from creek and river mouths. Don’t know if that is true today and whether those rules are the same for each tribe. You must call their fisheries cop and ask. This was on the Hood Canal and Skok Tribe I think.

Gyrfalcon2015 likes this.
  11. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I see that Puget Sound chum sizes have been updated. The Hood Canal pre-season chum forecast was just under 1/5 million and it has been updated to 950,000. South Sound chum also increased. Not good news for those concern about by-catch. Good news for those who want to chase "salty chums".

Curt

golfman44 likes this.
  12. eli neshiem

eli neshiem New Member

hahahahaha :D