World's Worst SeaWorld Experience

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by JayB, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    A few years ago one of the Alaskan king crab boat skippers from that tv series "Most Dangerous Catch" (I only viewed one episode, so I can't recall his name, or the boat he was on) went charter fishing here out of Westport.
    The local news photographer here was about to snap a pic of the nice King salmon that the skipper had caught and was holding up (I can't recall if he was standing on a dock, or holding it out over the stern of the boat), when the same thing happened! Might have been a sea lion. It got the entire fish!

A harbor seal popped up next to me while I was surfing yesterday. I pointed straight at it and yelled, "You! Outta here!" I never saw it again. Maybe I should hire myself out!

2. ten80

ten80 Active Member

I hooked a dogfish today in 10ft of water on a pink steelhead jig (WTH!) and right as we were about to net it to recovery my tackle, the local harbor seal came in close to score a free dinner. The seal came in for the grab but made a last-second u-turn when it was only inches from the dogfish... I can only guess that dogfish wasn't on the menu tonight!

Funny thing is that I was sort of hoping the seal would take the dogfish because the 3ft, ~15lb would have given the seal a full belly!

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Just for you! I flushed a bald eagle from his snack of fresh seal eyes on a beach walk back on April 1st. No foo IMGP1621.jpg lin!

4. FerrousTortoise

FerrousTortoise Hana Pa`a

I've seen a bunch of dogfish right along the shore this year. One almost got the fish on my stringer the other day.

5. KevinLS

KevinLS Active Member

:eek: Whoa! Never seen that before. Nice photography... ;)

6. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I've noticed a serious increase in the number of dogfish encounters I've seen on the beach so far this year. Not sure what thats all about, but I don't remember seeing them very often in the past. Seems I see a herring tosser play with one every time I've been out this year.

7. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Great story! Thanks for posting! Did you snap a picture of the half of the fish the seal didn't get? :) I know people don't like dogfish, but I'd still like to catch one on my fly rod so I can tell my friends in MT I caught a shark fly fishing! haha