Worst purchase.

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by kal, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Dylan D

Dylan D Member

I've been skeptical, glad I didn't do it.

2. Hywel

Hywel New Member

I'm probably in the minority, but I like my (Magnum model) 'Magic Tool'.

I've always felt that the limitations or posibilities of any implement lie in the hands and imagination of the user.

Hywel

3. Rick Phelps

Rick Phelps Member

The DVD does help clear up how to use the tool, as I gain more experiance tying I will try it again.

4. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

I have not used the Magic Tool but due to the large amount of hype (which always makes me wary), and the fact that people have been accomplishing more or less the same thing for years using a slightly modified bulldog clip (approx cost = $1.00 - $2.00) , I was sceptical of the need for the Magic tool. It seemed to me that there was a little too much "Magic" involved. Consequently, I never bought one.

Certainly the statement that "limitations or posibilities of any implement lie in the hands and imagination of the user" is very true but I don't see what the Magic tool does that the bulldog clip does not do in the hands of an imaginative user.
    If there are significant advantages, what are they?

TC

5. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

The reason That I bought one was that I saw Phil Rowley tye with one at the Belleveue show a few years ago and it looked pretty simple. The reason why I don't use it is because It is good for tying one dubbed pattern where as I find myself tying multiple flies of the same pattern when I sit down at the bench. So, with that said I just enjoy sitting down and just making dubbing brushes one night and tying the next. It's not that I don't have imaginiation, I just don't like fiddle-farting around all night when I'm trying to get something done...

6. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

I just enjoy sitting down and just making dubbing brushes one night and tying the next.

I did this just tonight,

Daryle

7. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Trying the quote thing again

8. Rick Phelps

Rick Phelps Member

Hywel,

I agree with you, for myself I lack the experiance and imagination at this point in my tying. As I gain that in both area's I will try it again, for now it is pretty much a dust collector for me.

Rick