Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

worthless report

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Steelhead 
#1 ·
Everyone else claims their reports to be worthless so I might as well too.

7 days on the North Umpqua.. got to meet underachiever that was great nice guy... sorry about Mike Chris..

My wife and I met out long time friends from Southern California like we do every September. The fishing is the focus but not the main event, renewing friendships is. but you guys want to know about the fishing..

fishing well...... it was slow.. the over summering pool on steamboat creek usually has about 600 fish in it this time of year this year it has 150. my wife and I had a dozen or so grabs 3 of which we hooked solid and one that SHE landed.. it was a hatchery buck about 9-10 lbs and it became that nights BBQ.

rain/shine didn't seem to matter much, there just aren't a lot of fish this year.. but it's the prettiest place in the world to get skunked.

not the best year on record but still a great time.

#7 ·
Agreed! I'm only pissed when I get skunked fishing a net! ;)

Rob, your wife killed a hatchery steelhead and you had a BBQ with old friends by the river while eating it and you call this report useless?

You sound like those passive aggressive gloaters that say stuff like, "I went 6 for 9! What a shit day!" and they always adjust their experience and catch to be better than everyone else's.

#12 ·
Rob, I figured your post had a dash of sarcasm and mine did too! However, if I went to the Umpqua I would consider that a very good trip. Take that for what it's worth.

#16 ·
Wow Pan! Thats a big rod!

#19 ·
She is biased. What did your girlfriend say?

Reactions: FinLuver
#18 · (Edited)
As Rob mentioned, I was down there recently as well. My experience echos his, pretty slow overall. Over the course of 5 days I hooked 4 fish and landed 2. Talking to people who've been fishing the river for years, and in some cases decades, it's been a slow summer on the NU.

I don't think I'll make it back down this season but I spent quite a bit more time there than I usually do. Usually I make it down for a 2 day trip or two every summer and typically don't catch shit while I'm there. Since the fishing on my local water was so poor, I found myself down there more often, I made 3 trips down for 2-3 days and 1 trip down for 5 days. My experience on the river is limited to the last few years but it seemed the number of anglers was down which was fine with me. Most of my time was spent when the 2pm closure was in effect so perhaps that, combined with poor fishing reports, discouraged people from making the trip. Personally I had my best summer ever there, I'm no pro-steelheader or anything but I think my abilities as an angler have come a long way in the last 2-3 years so I attribute the success partially to that, but mostly to luck. The biggest thing is I don't spend loads of time in shit water like I used to.

P.S. - Don't believe the hype! Rob's totally nice! He graciously attempted to steer the campfire conversation to new topics when I erroneously stepped into the danger zone of a political discussion which dragged on far longer than most (myself included) cared to listen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.