would these work?

tried tying some chironomids...not sure if a fish would bite one or not...i know they are kind of messy ties.. oh well.
If they would work will stockers eat one?
thanks for any help.

Ed Call

I'd think so. I agree with my friend Matt Smith, give them a try and let us know. Keep trying them and keep tying them.

colton rogers

wishin' i was fishin'
by know the freshly stocked fish have either started eating natural food or died a long time ago, if the lake is fished heavily that can make the world of differnce

There are a lot of chironomid dressings to use as patterns. The basic black TDC is one of the elder statesmen of chironomids dating back to the 1960s[+-]. It is dated but still works. Yours will likely work but there are a lot of different colors and sizes. Do some research and keep on tying and trying.
Les

Yep they would work.

Although there is currently a move to very slim chironomid patterns in the UK.

You maybe interested in seeing these tied buy a guy in lived in Lancashire:-

and they catch!

James Mello

Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"
Yep they would work.

Although there is currently a move to very slim chironomid patterns in the UK.

You maybe interested in seeing these tied buy a guy in lived in Lancashire:-

and they catch!
Heh :) I was going to comment that those flies looked a lot like some of the stillwater patterns from a UK fly tying book I have..... Then again, you are from the UK. I *really* like the use of things like lacquer and floss to get that sheen + durability. These are definately a cut above the buzzer patterns in the book though!

These are attributed to a guy known as "Scratch" who sells them, as well, for a bit of pin money.

Another UK tyer has just replicated Scratch's work but all in good fun.

:)