Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTB 5WT reel

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Mumbles 
#1 ·
Just bought my wife (for Valentine's Day) one of the 5wt TFO rods that sandpoint outfitters was selling and now I need a reel.

Prefer newer but a used reel in good shape would be fine.

#2 ·
Jack, I suggest you do a web search for a Redington CD 5/6. You can probably find one brand new for around $75. Lifetime warranty, saltwater safe, very good drag and built to handle abuse. I have several in each size and have really enjoyed them. Best of luck.

#8 ·
I saw those and I thought about it...then I thought, "My wife will have a nicer reel than me!"

In all honesty, it's just hard to pull the trigger on a reel for her. My son has a Ross Flystart and I thought about getting another one of those and they can swap spools.

#11 ·
I was thinking about this the other day in terms of vises, but it seems to be equally true for reels. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a $60 vise or a $60 reel.

If you're willing to spend around $100, you've got a ton of options, both new and used, and you'll probably end up with a pretty nice tool.

If you're really on a budget and willing to sacrifice quality, you can find something to get you going for less than $40.

But you'll wait a long time to find a quality vise or reel for $60, and you'd be overpaying for a cheap one at that price.

#14 ·
I can't remember the exact price, I think it was a little over $100, but I've got a couple of Plueger Trions for my 5wts and like them. Ross has some reels close to your price as well and I've got a nice Cimmaron for my 3wt!

Good luck!
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.