WTB Bamboo Rod

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by lespaulrock, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lespaulrock

lespaulrock Member

Looking for a split cane rod 4 to 5 weight, 7 to 9 feet long. Three piece with extra tip would be great. Anyone selling anything? Thanks for looking!

2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

It may help to know.....Do you have a high/low price range?

3. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

I have a Hardy Phantom 6'10", 5wt in excellent original condition that I would be willing to sell. It would be an easy transition for someone used to graphite. By that I mean it is a fast bamboo rod and handles over-lining well.

TC

4. lespaulrock

lespaulrock Member

I'd say I have a mid price range...I wish I could go all out on this! It's my 30th birthday soon and I wanted to get something nice for myself.

TC- please let me know more info on the Hardy Phantom! Thanks for looking and replying everyone!

5. koolminx

koolminx Member

I have an OLD South Bend 323 split cane 3 piece with two different tips.

6. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

It might be helpful to identify your range in dollars instead. Price ranges for bamboo rods tend to be (much) different and generally higher than for graphite ones. .

K

7. lespaulrock

lespaulrock Member

New or old is fine, but fishable is key. Not looking to hang it on a wall or refinish it. Three piece or up would be nice, I do lots of backpacking. I would love to stay under $700 if possible, but as you all know- the right rod is the right rod. Sometimes it can't be helped!

8. Canedawg

Canedawg Member

I bumped the two I am trying to sell. You can get a excellent bamboo rod for alot less than $700. There are many classic production rods that are very good fly fishing tools. The two I am selling are in that class. They are very good rods that are ready to fish. I have three in this configuration and I do not fish these two very often.

Ask others on this board that have bamboo. They know what I am talking about. I prefer W.M. Granger Rods over others such as Heddon and Phillipson, but they are all very good productions rods. All mine are 3 piece with two tips and are 5 weights. They do not need work. They are ready to go. One question you need to ask yourself is what action do you want. W.M Grangers are a meduim action rod which is my preference.

I would even consider a trade if it is a fiberglass rod, or a Hexagraph rod in the length and weight I desire.

9. Precip

Precip New Member

New guy here.

I have a couple of bamboo flyrods that I would like to sell. In the 8' - 9' range, 5 & 6 weight. $275 - $325 range.

Manufactured in the 60's by a German company named DAM.

Had minor repairs & refinishing done about 6 years ago by Ray Gould, a master bamboo guy from Edmonds. Rods are in very good condition.

I live in Bellevue, work in Kirkland--could arrange to show you the rods if you are local.

PM me if interested....

10. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

PM sent

TC

11. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong OldRodsHaveMoreFun

I have a very nice AJ Thramer (he's a well known contemporary bamboo rod maker from Oregon) 8' 5wt. for sale. It's a medium, to medium fast rod w/brown and tan wraps, custom blued ferrules (he makes his own hardware), uplocking seat w/wood insert. Complete with original sock and tube. $575.
    Let me know if you're interested. Greg

12. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Hope you have better luck getting an answer to your PM than I did yesterday aternoon..

13. lespaulrock

lespaulrock Member

Hello all, thank you for responding! I work nights and long hours on my feet; so it's hard for me to log into a computer til the morning (or afternoon as the nine to fivers call it). I have tomorrow off so I can check everything out and get back to you all.
    Much obliged,
    Erik

14. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Mmmm . . . nice. What taper?

K

15. Northlake27

Northlake27 Member

I have a spare demo rod I built to try out a taper and use for an sample. It is a 7ft 6in two piece with one tip. Nice flamed color, red wraps, red agate stripper, wood and NS reel seat. Based on a well known contemporary builders taper. Cork is a little soiled and it has a couple of minor scrapes in the finish. A good caster can throw a 5 weight line 75 ft with this. It is my favorite taper. No tube. This rod has already caught fish.

350 picked up in Twisp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.